FEATURED EVENTS IN YOUR CITY
The Tragically Hip’s final tour following lead singer Gordon Downie’s terminal brain cancer diagnosis is all but over.
The beloved Canadian band will finish their Man Machine Poem tour with a final farewell performance in Kingston, Ontario on August 20.
Tickets are of course, all sold out. But for a band that has already gone down in the history books, Canada is going above and beyond.
Here are 7 places you can watch The Tragically Hip’s final farewell in Vancouver:
- What: 600 free tickets are available on a first come, first served basis for a 19+ event broadcasting The Tragically Hip’s last concert at Vancouver Playhouse.
- Where: Vancouver Playhouse – 600 Hamilton Street, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, 20 August, doors open at 3:30 pm, Olympic broadcasting starts at 4:30 pm and the concert is live at 5:30 pm
- Tickets: Free and available in person at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre box office on Friday, August 19, between noon and 2 pm. Limited to two per person.
- What: The public is invited to gather for a special broadcast by the CBC, The Tragically Hip: A National Celebration. The show will be projected on a 20-foot-wide LED screen.
- Where: Woodwards Atrium – 333 Abbott Street, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, 20 August, from 5 to 9pm
- Register: On Eventbrite, totally free
- What: Watch the live stream of The Tragically Hip’s final concert at River Rock Theatre. A fans’ pre-party will also be held, on the patio at the Casino’s Curve Lounge.
- Where: River Rock Theatre at River Rock Casino – 8811 River Road, Richmond
- When: Saturday, 20 August, fan pre-party from noon to 4:30 pm, live stream starts 5:30 pm
- Register: On Ticketmaster, totally free, 19+
- What: The Hip’s final show will also be live streamed at the Columbia StrEAT Food Truck Fest in New Westminster. The concert will be shown on a 27-foot screen.
- Where: East end of Columbia Street, past Stephano’s and the Brooklyn Bar & Grill, New Westminster
- When: Saturday, 20 August, festival open 4 to 10 pm, concert runs from 5:30 to 8:30 pm
- Admission: Totally free, all donations go to the Canadian Cancer Society in honour of Gord Downie
- What: Registration for this free live screening at the Commodore Ballroom has now sold out, but tickets are being given away on Rock 101 and CFOX radio stations. 19+
- When: Saturday, August 20; doors open at 4:30 pm, screening starts at 5:30 pm
- Where: Commodore Ballroom – 868 Granville Street, Vancouver
- What: Registration for a live screening of The Tragically Hip’s final farewell at the Rio is now full, but there will be a hope line for entry. 19+
- When: Saturday, August 20; hope line will form at 4 pm, show at 5:30 pm
- Where: Rio Theatre – 1660 East Broadway, Vancouver
If you have no luck getting in anywhere around town, the CBC will also broadcast and livestream The Tragically Hip’s final concert, commercial-free, on Saturday, August 20.
The show starts at 5:30 pm PT across CBC Television, CBC Radio One, CBC Radio 2, CBC’s YouTube channels, and cbcmusic.ca.