The Tragically Hip’s final tour following lead singer Gordon Downie’s terminal brain cancer diagnosis is all but over.
The beloved Canadian band will finish their Man Machine Poem tour with a final farewell performance in Kingston, Ontario on August 20.
Tickets are of course, all sold out. But for a band that has already gone down in the history books, Canada is going above and beyond.
Here are 7 places you can watch The Tragically Hip’s final farewell in Vancouver:
- What: 600 free tickets are available on a first come, first served basis for a 19+ event broadcasting The Tragically Hip’s last concert at Vancouver Playhouse.
- Where: Vancouver Playhouse – 600 Hamilton Street, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, 20 August, doors open at 3:30 pm, Olympic broadcasting starts at 4:30 pm and the concert is live at 5:30 pm
- Tickets: Free and available in person at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre box office on Friday, August 19, between noon and 2 pm. Limited to two per person.
- What: The public is invited to gather for a special broadcast by the CBC, The Tragically Hip: A National Celebration. The show will be projected on a 20-foot-wide LED screen.
- Where: Woodwards Atrium – 333 Abbott Street, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, 20 August, from 5 to 9pm
- Register: On Eventbrite, totally free
- What: Watch the live stream of The Tragically Hip’s final concert at River Rock Theatre. A fans’ pre-party will also be held, on the patio at the Casino’s Curve Lounge.
- Where: River Rock Theatre at River Rock Casino – 8811 River Road, Richmond
- When: Saturday, 20 August, fan pre-party from noon to 4:30 pm, live stream starts 5:30 pm
- Register: On Ticketmaster, totally free, 19+
- What: The Hip’s final show will also be live streamed at the Columbia StrEAT Food Truck Fest in New Westminster. The concert will be shown on a 27-foot screen.
- Where: East end of Columbia Street, past Stephano’s and the Brooklyn Bar & Grill, New Westminster
- When: Saturday, 20 August, festival open 4 to 10 pm, concert runs from 5:30 to 8:30 pm
- Admission: Totally free, all donations go to the Canadian Cancer Society in honour of Gord Downie
- What: Registration for this free live screening at the Commodore Ballroom has now sold out, but tickets are being given away on Rock 101 and CFOX radio stations. 19+
- When: Saturday, August 20; doors open at 4:30 pm, screening starts at 5:30 pm
- Where: Commodore Ballroom – 868 Granville Street, Vancouver
- What: Registration for a live screening of The Tragically Hip’s final farewell at the Rio is now full, but there will be a hope line for entry. 19+
- When: Saturday, August 20; hope line will form at 4 pm, show at 5:30 pm
- Where: Rio Theatre – 1660 East Broadway, Vancouver
If you have no luck getting in anywhere around town, the CBC will also broadcast and livestream The Tragically Hip’s final concert, commercial-free, on Saturday, August 20.
The show starts at 5:30 pm PT across CBC Television, CBC Radio One, CBC Radio 2, CBC’s YouTube channels, and cbcmusic.ca.