The weekend is almost over so make the most of it. Here are ten things to do around Vancouver today, but please take note that a decision has been made by the Vancouver Park Board to close the Trout Lake ice surface until further notice due to safety reasons.
For more things happening around town, check out our events section.
Take it off at the No Pants SkyTrain ride
- What: Take off your pants and get on the Skytrain for an annual ride event.
- Where: Southside of Commercial-Broadway Skytrain station by the ticket machines
- When: Sunday, January 8 at 2:30 pm
- What: These newly revised classes get to the heart of ‘how-to’ vegan and healthier baking for the home cook, both beginner and more advanced.
- Where: Canadian School of Natural Nutrition –2245 West Broadway Street Room 102, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, January 8, from 10 am to 1 pm
- Register: On Eventbrite, $75-$500
Find you zen at Ninjitsu Sundays
- What: Ninjitsu is the ancient art of the ninja shadow warriors of Japan. Through the practice of Ninjitsu you’ll learn to move your body & mind in a more poetic way, through breath & traditional exercises.
- Where: Vital Health Medical Clinic Kitsilano –1855 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, January 8, from 10:30 am to noon
- Register: On Eventbrite, free
Laugh out loud at Streetfight Improv
- What: Streetfight is a hilarious hour of head-to-head short form improv that you don’t want to miss. Every week we get ten of the funniest improvisers in town (or amazing special guests!) who compete back and forth with short improvised scenes vying for your laughter!
- Where: Havana–1212 Commercial Drive, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, January 8, from 9 to 10 pm
- Register: On Eventbrite, $8
Get your giggle on at Vancouver TheatreSports’ Rookie League
- What: Vancouver TheatreSports’ rising stars take to The Improv Centre stage every Sunday night. The 90 minutes of improv will showcase the talent of these new players and prepare them for the bright lights of mainstage.
- Where: The Improv Centre – 1502 Duranleau Street, Vancouver
- When: Every Sunday at 8 pm
- Tickets: $8, online
- What: Canadian country music artist Tim Hicks performs with fellow Canadian country music artist, Chad Brownlee
- Where: The Commodore Ballroom – 868 Granville Street
- When: Sunday, January 8. Doors open at 8 pm, shows start at 9 pm.
- Tickets: $40, available at Ticketmaster
Lace up those skates at Robson Square Skating Rink
- What: The Robson Square Ice Rink, located in downtown Vancouver, is open all through the Christmas Holidays, including Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. Skating is free with your own skates, otherwise, rentals are available. The rink also features a concession stand with snacks and warm drinks.
- Where: Robson Square – 800 Robson Square, Vancouver
- When: The rink is open daily from 9 am to 9 pm Sunday to Thursday, and from 9 am to 11 pm Fridays and Saturdays, until February 14.
Get your healthy fix at Hastings Park Farmers Market
- What: Find a great selection of local produce, fish, meat, dairy, artisan prepared foods, baked goods, local crafts, and food trucks.
- Where: Hastings Park Centregrounds – 2901 E Hastings Street, Vancouver
- When: Sundays from 10 am to 2 pm, January 8 to April 30
- Cost: Free
Connect with community at Pancakes and Jam
- What: Pancakes and Jam is an inclusive community building event / brunch / live music dance party. Come on out and meet new friends and old, have yourself some breakfast with our all afternoon brunch, volunteer to help in the kitchen or play some music. You are encouraged to make new friends, spread joy and enjoy the company of a wonderful group of people.
- Where: The Woods Studio – 7 West 2 Avenue, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, January 8, from 11:30 am to 5 pm
- Cost: Donation at the door. Suggested amount $5-$10.
Shine bright at Lights at Lafarge Lake
- What: See more than 100,000 twinkling lights light up Coquitlam’s Lafarge Lake, in a magical, free, outdoor display for visitors of all ages.
- When: Town Centre Park – 1299 Pinetree Way, Coquitlam
- When: Nightly from dusk to 11 pm, until January 22