7 things to do in Vancouver today: Wednesday, November 22
Nov 22 2017, 1:57 am
Christmas fun is in full swing in Vancouver, and our picks of seven things do today includes lots of holiday joy, including Pacific Centre’s Second Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony, Vancouver Christmas Market, Christmas Queen 4 at Vancouver TheatreSports League, and more!
For more things happening around town, check out our events section.
Pacific Centre Second Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony
- What: Vancouver’s newest holiday tradition is back. Pacific Centre transforms the city into a magical holiday wonderland with a spectacular tree lighting ceremony on Wednesday, November 22. This year, the 40-foot tree situated outside the rotunda off Georgia and Howe streets will serve as the backdrop for a memorable musical performance led by CHOIR CHOIR CHOIR.
- When: Wednesday, November 22, 2017
- Time: 6 pm
- Where: Pacific Centre Rotunda — 701 West Georgia, Vancouver
- Price: Free
Vancouver Christmas Market 2017
- What: Featuring more than 75 huts of authentic, German sweets, treats, and treasures, the Vancouver Christmas Market is a holiday staple in the city and offers something for everyone of all ages. Each year, the Vancouver Christmas Market brings this festive Old World tradition to Vancouver. This cherished holiday event offers an authentic German feast for the senses.
- When: November 22 to December 24, 2017
- Time: 11 am to 9 pm daily
- Where: Jack Poole Plaza – 1075 Canada Place, Vancouver
- Tickets: Online, $5-$10
The Shipment – SpeakEasy Theatre
- What: Looking unlike anything else on stage this month, The Shipment will shake up your perception of race and identity. Five Black actors play out a host of bad cliches, challenging our traditional narratives of Black culture. Raw, challenging, and decidedly unpreachy, The Shipment might just be the production our city needs at this particular time.
- When: November 22 to December 2, 2017
- Where: The Cultch – 1985 Venables Street, Vancouver
- Tickets: At The Cultch; $31.25
Disney On Ice: Follow Your Heart
- What: In this version of the ice show, Mickey, Minnie, and all of their friends will be joined by Joy, Sadness, and all the Emotions from Inside Out in their latest adventure of helping Riley find the confidence to win a big hockey game. Fans can also expect Dory, Nemo, Marlin, and Hank from Finding Dory, Olaf, Kristoff, Anna and Elsa from Frozen, and all the Disney Princesses. Even the gang from Toy Story – including Buzz Lightyear and Woody – will make an appearance.
- When: November 22 to 26, 2017
- Where: Pacific Coliseum – 2901 East Hastings St, Vancouver
- Tickets: Online, $15-$100
Christmas Queen 4 – Secret Santa at Vancouver TheatreSports League
- What: Vancouver TheatreSports’ The Christmas Queen is returning this holiday season with the latest installment in the series, Christmas Queen 4 – Secret Santa. Confusion and hijinks ensue when the Queen and Santa exchange bodies in a Freaky Friday-style magical sleight- of-hand. What happens to the Workshop’s Toy Factory with The Queen as Santa in charge? The answers are revealed as VTSL’s ensemble players take audience suggestions and turn them into 90 minutes of holiday hilarity.
- When: Wednesdays through Saturdays from November 22 to December 23. Matinees on December 10 and 17
- Time: 7:30 pm. Matinees at 2 pm
- Where: The Improv Centre – 1502 Duranleau Street, Vancouver
- Tickets: Online, $10.75-$24.25
Glow Christmas 2017
- What: This year, Glow Christmas will be brightening up Langley’s Milner Village Garden Centre with over 500,000 lights spanning 103,000 square feet of holiday magic. The display will feature four different light gardens, food trucks (and bar!), over 40 vendors, and – the cherry on top – a 210-foot musical light tunnel.
- When: Select dates from November 22 to December 30, 2017
- Time: 4 to 10 pm
- Where: Milner Village Garden Centre – 6690 216 St, Langley
- Tickets: Online , $20 for adults, $15 for kids and seniors, family discounts available
Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown
- What: Now in its tenth year, the event in support of Ocean Wise sustainable seafood programs, will see past winners compete for the title of “All-Star Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown Champion.” In this All-Star edition, culinary heavyweights will go “ladle-to-ladle” in the soup-centric cook-off as attendees and a panel of judges sample the goods before casting their votes to name the 2017 champion.
- When: Wednesday, November 22, 2017
- Time: 7 pm
- Where: Vancouver Aquarium – 845 Avison Way, Vancouver
- Tickets: $75 per person; buy online