FEATURED EVENTS IN VANCOUVER
Wed, November 25, 12:00pm
Starts at $1.00
Wed, December 2, 10:00am
ARTS & THEATRE, OUTDOOR
Fri, December 4, 10:00am
ARTS & THEATRE, VIRTUAL
Fri, December 4, 6:00pm
With a sunny weekend ahead, it’s time to get out and see what the city has to offer. Here are 22 things to do in Vancouver this weekend, August 20 and 21.
Saturday, August 20
- What: Hundreds of people will carry boom boxes tuned into an FM radio master broadcast put out by a DJ resulting in a “mobile, synchronized sound system.
- When: Saturday, August 20; 9 pm
- Where: Top secret. Find out the night before.
- What: Organizers of the Fair at the PNE announced that admission on opening day this Saturday will be free for the first hour of operations for Pokémon GO players. From 11 am to noon, players simply have to show their Pokémon GO app on their smartphone to pass through the fairground gates.
- When: Saturday, August 20; 11 am to noon
- Where: Pacific National Exhibition at Hastings Park – 2901 East Hastings Street, Vancouver
- What: Taking place from August 18 to 21, fans of the clothing line’s contemporary and simplistic silhouettes can snag 80% off in markdowns for what promises to be the store’s biggest sale yet.
- When: Saturday, August 20; 9 am to 9 pm and Sunday, August 21; 10 am to 5 pm
- Where: 999 Canada Place, Vancouver Convention Centre East Building, Ballroom A
- What: Vancouver’s Chariot Festival, also known as Ratha Yatra, is coming back to the city for another huge celebration on the weekend of August 20 and 21. Over the course of two days, there will be several events to celebrate the Hindu festival, which originated thousands of years ago in Puri, on the east coast of India.
- Where: Second Beach, Stanley Park, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, August 20, and Sunday, August 21
- Admission: Free. Visit their website for more details.
- What: A free showing of the original Finding Nemo is happening on Saturday, August 20 at Trimble Park. There will be a barbecue concession stand, children’s activities, and entertainment prior to the start of the movie at around 8:30 pm.
- When: Saturday, August 20
- Where: Trimble Park – 2250 Trimble Street, Vancouver
- What: The city’s first ever Mural Festival is set to change the face of Main Street and Mount Pleasant forever with a total of 41 permanent murals will be created. The festival culminates in a block party with BBQs, dance parties, and more.
- Where: Main Street between 7th and 12th Avenue, Vancouver
- What: Bollywood Under the Stars is a free event perfect for the whole family. There will be dance performances and a DJ before the movie, starting at 4:30 pm.
- Movie: Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (DDLJ)
- When: Saturday, August 20
- Time: Dance performances, DJ, and picnic at 4:30 pm / Movie starts at 6 pm
- Where: Unwin Park – 13313 68th Avenue, Surrey
- Note: There will be English subtitles
- What: Led by Equinox’s instructors, you’ll start your morning physically and mentally engaged with an energizing yoga class on Shangri-La’s picturesque sixth floor outdoor Terrace. Afterwards, enjoy a healthy breakfast courtesy of Shangri-La’s Executive Chef, Ken Nakano.
- When: Saturday, August 20; 10 am to noon
- Where: Shangri-La Hotel – 1128 West Georgia Street, Vancouver
- What: To celebrate one of Canada’s most loved bands, Timber be having a special supper and concert viewing event. Your ticket includes Turtle Valley Bison Ranch smoked bison hip supper, a seat for the live stream on CBC-TV, and a donation to the Canadian Cancer Society.
- When: Saturday, August 20; 5 to 9 pm
- Where: Timber – 1300 Robson Street, Vancouver
- What: If you’re a beginner or intermediate improvisational performer and are looking for more rehearsal opportunities, the Casual Saturdays workshop is for you. Hosted by a rotating array of awesome comedians, each workshop will focus on a core improv skill, with a ton of games and fun.
- When: Saturday, August 20; 1:30 to 4 pm
- Where: Instant Studios – 529 East Broadway, Vancouver
- What: Take an unforgettable 5-hour journey through the San Juan and Gulf Islands, experience breathtaking scenery and marine wildlife. This enchanting journey features secluded bays, secret coves, and spectacular world-class scenery
- When: Saturday, August 20; 1 to 5 pm
- Where: 15020 Marine Drive, White Rock
- What: Original bands and artists will be performing free, outdoor concerts in Cates Park again this summer, so bring a picnic and spend your Saturday afternoons enjoying the immense local talent that Vancouver has to offer.
- Where: Cates Park – Deep Cove, North Vancouver
- When: Every Saturday from July 16 to August 27
- What: Get out to a ball game as the Vancouver Canadians take on Boise. Stay after the game for a music-filled, crowd-pleasing post-game fireworks show.
- Where: Nat Bailey Stadium – 4575 Clancy Loranger Way, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, August 20 at 7:05 pm
Sunday, August 21
- What: Moksha Yoga is hosting a second Yoga on Tap event at Steamworks Brewery & Taproom in Burnaby on Sunday, August 21. Participants will be able to enjoy a flight of beer while getting a peaceful yoga workout.
- When: Sunday, August 21, 2016
- Time: 11 am to 1 pm
- Where: Steamworks Brewery & Taproom – 3845 William Street, Burnaby
- What: Salsa dancing returns to Robson Square for the Summer 2016 season, offering free lessons, performances and social dancing. Swing by and check it out – it’s fun just to watch if you’re too scared to hit the dancefloor!
- Where: Robson Square – 800 Robson Street, Vancouver
- When: Every Sunday in July and August; lessons at 3 pm, performances at 5 pm, social dancing all afternoon
- What: Get out your yoga mats and put away your wallets, free yoga is back for another year! Two sessions, twice a day, seven days a week. All abilities welcome.
- Where: Dude Chilling Park – 2390 Brunswick Street, Vancouver
- When: Now until fall; from 10 to 11:15 am and 6 to 7:15 pm
- What: Cheer on those jockeys and their steeds at the horse racing track in Hastings – entry is always totally free. The race schedule runs through October.
- Where: Hastings Racecourse – 188 N Renfrew St, Vancouver
- When: Mostly Saturday and Sunday afternoons with 1:50 pm start times. In August, Friday night races start at 7 pm, while two Monday afternoon races start at 4 pm.
- What: A family-friendly event that will offer food from 12 local restaurants, an expanded farmers and garlic market, live music, and cooking demonstrations.
- Where: Terra Nova Rural Park – Richmond
- When: Sunday, August 21; 10 am to 3 pm
- What: Corsets, vintage prosthetic limbs, pinball machines – these are just a few of the wacky collections curated by Vancouverites on display at the Museum of Vancouver. All of the collections have an interactive component.
- Where: Museum of Vancouver – 1100 Chestnut Street, Vancouver
- When: On display from June 23, 2016 to January 8, 2017
- What: Whereas other successful improv troupes in Vancouver are comprised of dozens of performers, these guys opt to keep it simple – the Sunday Service is five top-notch performers that have been nationally recognized so many times they’ve lost count (just kidding, it’s 21). They perform every Sunday at the Fox Cabaret in Mount Pleasant and never fail to bring down the house, making it a popular spot for comedians and regular folk alike to take in a night of guaranteed laughs.
- Price: $7
- Time: Sundays at 9 pm
- Address: The Fox Cabaret – 2321 Main Street
- What: When you buy your tickets, you get 4 four ounce samples and a bonus Red Truck glass. Tours last around 45 minutes and are done in groups of 10 to 12.
- Where: Red Truck Brewery – 295 East 1 Street, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, August 21; 4 to 5 pm