Wow. Another week and December is upon us. Which means invites to a zillion Christmas parties are coming your way soon.
In the meantime, there’s still loads happening in the city to distract you from Christmas shopping and keep you busy over the next few days.
So here are 20 things to do in Vancouver this week, from Oasis:Supersonic to Amy Schumer.
Monday, November 28
- What: From the Oscar-winning producers of Amy and Senna comes Supersonic, a gin-and-tonic soaked documentary, telling the remarkable story of the iconic band Oasis, through unprecedented access and extensive, unseen archival footage.
- Where: Rio Theatre – 1660 E Broadway, Vancouver
- When: Monday, November 28, doors 6:15 pm, movie at 6:45 pm
- Tickets: At the Rio, $10 in advance, $12 on the door
- What: Grab your wands and hang on to your portkeys, B-Roll is back with a magical, drag night tribute to the world of witchcraft and wizardry, Harry Potter, to celebrate the release of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
- Where: The Penthouse Night Club – 1019 Seymour Street, Vancouver
- When: Monday, November 28, from 9 to 11:30 pm
- Tickets: On Eventbrite, $10-$15
- What: One of the most lit-up homes in Metro Vancouver is back for the 2016 holiday season, with 100,000 Christmas lights and a massive star suspended more than 80 feet in the air. Opening night is on Monday.
- Where: 4967 Chalet Place, North Vancouver
- When: Monday, November 28 to Friday, January 6, 2017. On opening night, the lights will be viewable from 6:30 pm, on all other nights, the house will be illuminated from 5:30 pm.
- What to bring: A cash or non-perishable food donation. All proceeds go to charity.
- What: Raindance Vancouver is hosting a special edition of their Booze N Schmooze nights for aspiring independent filmmakers thinking of volunteering with the organization, which offers training, workshops and networking.
- Where: Studio Records – 919 Granville St, Vancouver
- When: Monday, November 28, at 7 pm
- Info: raindance.org/vancouver
Tuesday, November 29
- What: This enriching celebration, featuring more than 70 musicians, singers and dancers, showcases an ebullient, diverse program of opera, classical, and traditional folk music on the authentic instruments of the traditional Chinese orchestra.
- Where: Queen Elizabeth Theatre – 650 Hamilton Street, Vancouver
- When: Tuesday, November 29 and Wednesday, November 30, from 8 to 10 pm
- Tickets: $28-$128 on Ticketmaster
- What: If you’re an SFU student gearing up for those dreaded final exams, there is some good news – now you can de-stress with cute, adorable, fluffy, puppies. The puppies will be visiting campus for a student therapy session this Tuesday.
- Where: SFU Harbour Harbour Centre Teck Gallery Lounge – 515 West Hastings Street, Vancouver
- When: Tuesday, November 29, from noon to 2 pm
- Admission: Free!
- What: Indulge your creativity and learn the basic skills of brush calligraphy at this workshop for beginners, including letters for Christmas messages. Ticket includes a basic brush pen set, lettering workbook, and sample card designs.
- Where: Cartems Donuterie – 2190 Main St, Vancouver
- When: Tuesday, November 29, from 7 to 9 pm
- Admission: On Eventbrite, $59; all proceeds go to the SA Foundation, which runs a long-term recovery program for sexually exploited women in Vancouver.
- What: Local company Chimp is giving away $100,000 as part of its Give On campaign, aiming to encourage the Vancouver community to give back and support causes that matter to them. The launch will feature food, beer and guest speakers.
- Where: Big Rock Brewery – 310 W 4th Ave, Vancouver
- When: Tuesday, November 29, from 5:30 to 8 pm
- Register: On Eventbrite, totally free
Wednesday, November 30
- What: Winner of the 2012 Grammy Award for Best Classical Vocal Solo, Kansas-born Joyce DiDonato entrances audiences across the globe, and has been proclaimed “perhaps the most potent female singer of her generation” by The New Yorker.
- Where: Orpheum Theatre – 601 Smithe St, Vancouver
- When: Wednesday, November 30, at 7:30 pm
- Tickets: Online, $25-$250
- What: A live Q&A with Ritz Clinging, founder and creator of innovative feminine product company, I Love My Muff. Learn how she became an entrepreneur, and enjoy a glass of wine, light tapas, and a swag bag all included with the ticket.
- Where: Vancouver Urban Winery – 55 Dunlevy Avenue, Vancouver
- When: Wednesday, November 30, from 6:30 to 8 pm
- Tickets: On Eventbrite, $35
- What: This Los Angeles rock band is the latest outfit for The Strokes lead guitarist, Nick Valensi, who is stepping up as frontman for CRX. The band are in town touring their debut album, New Skin, a mix of power pop and heavy metal.
- Where: Biltmore Cabaret – 2755 Prince Edward Street, Vancouver
- When: Wednesday, November 30, doors at 8 pm
- Tickets: On TicketWeb, $15
- What: During this free lecture, Dr. Stephanie Simmons will discuss how quantum technologies will change our lives in a very fundamental way, and provide a snapshot of the accelerating worldwide race to build a prototype quantum computer.
- Where: Room 1400, SFU’s Harbour Centre Campus – 515 West Hastings St., Vancouver
- When: Wednesday, November 30, at 7 pm
- Register: On SFU, totally free
Thursday, December 1
- What: A holiday face off of caffeinated concoctions. Sponsored by Caffe D’arte Coffee Roasters, this competition will collect donations in support of The Lookout Society and will provide beer, snacks, and Christmas cookies to spectators.
- Where: Espressotec Sales & Service – 1015 Clark Drive, Vancouver
- When: Thursday, December 1, from 5:30 to 9:30pm
- Admission: Cash/food/clothing donation
- What: The Robson Skating Rink is a classic Vancouver Christmas tradition for all ages. The outdoor skating arena at Robson Square allows locals and visitors to get into the holiday spirit, while surrounded by downtown Vancouver’s bustling beauty.
- Where: 800 Robson Street, Vancouver (Robson Street & Howe Street)
- When: Daily from December 1, 2016 to February 28, 2017 (9 am to 9 pm from Sunday to Thursday; 9 am to 11 pm on Friday and Saturday)
- Admission: Free for all ages, if you bring your own skates (Skate rentals are $4, and rentals end 30 minutes before closing time)
- What: Pastry Chef D’Oyen and his team welcomes you to this tipsy “Adult-Only” class, which comes with candy decorations, accoutrements, assistance from the culinary team, and two festive holiday cocktails (or beer and wine) and canapés.
- Where: Notch8 – 900 West Georgia Street, Vancouver
- When: Thursday, December 1 at 7pm
- Tickets: $70 per person or $120 per couple; email [email protected] or call 604-647-0517.
- What: A good old-fashioned dance battle and duelling DJ showdown, featuring a live acoustic punk performance, wicked queen MCs, Cineworks film projections, and a silent auction – all while dancers battle with gyrating hips and pumping fists.
- Where: The Ironworks – 235 Alexander Street, Vancouver
- When: Thursday, December 1, from 7:30 pm to midnight
- Tickets: On Eventbrite, $18-$80
Friday, December 2
On December 2 from 7-11PM my first sanctioned solo show, Sell Out, will open at @hotartwetcity. There will be a ton of new work available just in time to ruin someone’s holidays with a gift that says…something… This will be the last big show for myself at #hawc and I get a little teary-eyed thinking that it will be closing its doors in March 2017. All the more reason to come out and party beside art!
- What: Sell Out features a fun and twisted collection of new and old works by the mysterious Vancouver street artist, iHeart. As a work sells, a new piece will replace it. Leaving you wondering what will be next.
- Where: Hot Art Wet City – 2206 Main Street, Vancouver
- When: Sale runs from Friday, December 2, at 7 pm through Saturday, December 17, at 5 pm
- Register: On Eventbrite, totally free
- What: The annual Vancouver Christmas Tree Lighting includes a holiday concert, photos with Santa, holiday crafts, free hot chocolate and cookies, and the lighting of a 50-foot, Rockefeller-style Christmas tree covered with 6,470 bright light bulbs.
- Where: Robson Square – 800 Robson Street, Vancouver
- When: Friday, December 2, from 5 to 7 pm; the tree will remain at the square through Christmas Day
- Admission: Free!
- What: A seven-course dinner from Jean Jaques Kabuya, Tyler Paquette, and Steven Lee, including chicken liver parfait, crab salad, mussel bisque, strip loin, pressed belly of pork, and delice de poire-chocolat.
- Where: De Dutch Burrard Landing – 60 – 1055 Canada Place, Vancouver
- When: Friday, December 2 at 7pm
- Tickets: $99 per person, email [email protected]
- What: Amy Schumer is the only female comic to ever sell out Madison Square Garden, and now the American standup comedian, writer, actor, and star of Train Wreck and Comedy Central’s Inside Amy Schumer is taking on Vancouver.
- Where: Rogers Arena – 800 Griffiths Way, Vancouver
- When: Friday December 2, at 8 pm
- Tickets: On Ticketmaster, $39-$130