On September 14, five internationally renowned leaders will come to Vancouver, sharing their unique, and in some cases extraordinary, experiences and careers. The Art of Leadership Vancouver 2015 offers an in depth look at what leadership means, and how it can change lives.
Save $50 on the price of your ticket by using the code BUZZ27. Buy three or more tickets and save an additional $50 off the price of each ticket.
Colonel Chris Hadfield
Astronaut & First Canadian Commander of the International Space Station
An astronaut with over 21 years experience, Colonel Chris Hadfield has been responsible for some of the most amazing “firsts” in Canada’s aeronautic history.
He was Canada’s first fully-qualified Space Shuttle crew member, the first Canadian to operate the Canadarm in space, and the first Canadian to board a Russian spacecraft as he helped build space station “Mir.” In 2001, aboard Shuttle Endeavour, Colonel Hadfield performed two spacewalks—the first Canadian to do so—and, in 2013, he was Commander of the International Space Station—the first and only Canadian to ever command a spaceship—so far.
A heavily decorated astronaut, engineer, and pilot, Colonel Hadfield is the author of two internationally bestselling books, “An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth” and “You Are Here”, and has been commemorated on Canadian postage stamps, Royal Canadian Mint coins, and on Canada’s newest five dollar bill (along with fellow astronauts Steve MacLean and Dave Williams).
What you’ll learn:
- After serving in the military and holding several leadership positions within NASA, he shares how all phases of leadership are key to victory.
- Through his experiences of navigating tragedy, delays, program changes, and much more, he illuminates the necessity for both preparation and reaction to complex change.
- Multiple examples that highlight the fundamental necessity of inspiration as a vital component of success.
- How to motivate you and your team to achieve dreams higher than the clouds.
- Useful and practical lessons he’s learned throughout his remarkable career in the fields of leadership, teamwork, collaboration, science and technology.
Captain Richard Phillips
Hero of the High Seas, Real Life Inspiration for the Movie Captain Phillips & New York Times Bestselling Author of A Captain’s Duty
In April 2009, Captain Richard Phillips was at the centre of an international drama, when he was captured by Somali pirates who hijacked his ship. This event was the first hijacking of a U.S. ship in more than 200 years.
Captain Phillips is credited with offering himself as a hostage to the hijackers, putting his very life in danger to protect the 200 crew members under his command.
He’s the author of “A Captain’s Duty: Somali Pirates”, “Navy SEALs”, and “Dangerous Days at Sea”, about his experience and his remarkable rescue. This dramatic story was also transformed into an Academy-Award and Golden-Globe nominated film, Captain Phillips, which hit the big screens in fall of 2013.
What you’ll learn:
- Finding your inner leader: Why you are stronger than you know and you can handle much more than you think.
- The Importance of a positive attitude and perseverance: The only time it is over is when you say it is over.
- The importance of a team: How a motivated, focused team of professionals can solve any problem.
- Steering your ship through rough waters: How your organization can survive and thrive, even in times when hope and support are in short supply.
#1 New York Times Bestselling Author of The Happiness Project, Happier at Home & Better Than Before
Gretchen Rubin is the author of several books, including the #1 New York Times and international bestseller, “The Happiness Project”, “Happier at Home”, and “Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives”, Rubin has delved deeply into the concept of happiness and fulfillment, exploring what it is that makes people happy, and how to live a happier, healthier life.
She’s been named one of the “100 Most Influential People in Health and Fitness,” one of the Inc.’s Top 50 Leadership and Management Experts, and one of the “22 Brilliant Thinkers Everyone Should Follow on Twitter” by Business Insider.
What you’ll learn:
- How understanding crucial differences in how people approach the world allows us to manage ourselves better, manage other people better, and reduce arguments about who is “right” and “wrong.”
- The difference between Abstainers vs. Moderators (about how to fight temptation); Marathoners vs. Sprinters vs. Procrastinators (about the pace at which work should be completed-a real issue within teams); Finishers vs. Openers (about a person’s willingness to work toward completion or to start something new); and the “Four Tendencies” framework (about how a person responds to a request or an order).
- How to get the most from your employees by helping them change their habits, make it possible for them to work and live together harmoniously and how to ultimately manage yourself better.
New York Times Bestselling Author & World-Renowned Leadership Expert
For the last four years, Dr. Marshall Goldsmith has been recognized as one of the “Top 10 Business Thinkers in the World”, and the top rated executive coach in the world by Thinkers50. His client list is a who’s who of America’s top CEOs and brands.
He is the author or editor of 35 books, which have sold more than two million copies, been translated into 30 languages, and become bestsellers in 12 countries. He has written two New York Times bestsellers, “MOJO” and “What Got You Here Won’t Get You There”. His newest book “Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts”, explores the environmental and psychological triggers that can derail us at work and in life, and he shares the 10 beliefs that sabotage our success and how we can overcome them and offers audiences a checklist of six active questions that they can use to achieve lasting change in their lives.
What you’ll learn:
- Discover the behavioural triggers that shape us and how to master them.
- How to identify the five key variables that impact engagement on the job.
- How to implement a new process for employee engagement that teaches employees how to engage themselves.
- Practical tools to increase personal effectiveness and improve overall performance.
- How to avoid bad personal habits that get leaders into trouble and can stifle already successful careers.
Dr. Liane Davey
New York Times Bestselling Author of You First: Inspire Your Team to Grow Up, Get Along, and Get Stuff Done
Rehabilitating teams that have become toxic with healthy teams that want to take their performance to the next level, Dr. Liane Davey has distilled her approach into Lee Hecht Harrison Knightsbridge’s highly successful Vital Teams™ and Team Inoculation™ programs. These programs allow organizations to certify internal resources to deliver the programs Liane designed.
Liane’s first book, “Leadership Solutions”, was co-authored with David Weiss and Vince Molinaro and was released in Fall 2007. Her new book: “YOU FIRST: Inspire Your Team to Grow Up, Get Along, and Get Stuff Done” was released in Fall 2013.
Liane has served on the executive of the Canadian Society for Industrial/ Organizational Psychology and as an evaluator for the Psychologically Healthy Workplace Awards. She is currently a member of the Board of Trustees of the Psychology Foundation and is Chair of the Foundation’s Diversity in Action project promoting mental health in immigrant communities. She holds a Ph.D. in Industrial/Organizational Psychology from the University of Waterloo. Liane is happily married with two young daughters.
What you’ll learn:
- Spot team dysfunctions before it’s too late and seize the opportunity to make your team healthier.
- Use the right words to engage in productive conflict.
- Setting goals and using stretch opportunities to grow and develop teams beyond their current level and comfort zones.
- Zero in on the unique value of the team to the organization (and cut out low value work). Create insights about individuals that improve the team dynamic.
- Anchor changes in processes to sustain team performance over the long haul.
Vancity Buzz is a proud media sponsor of The Art of Leadership