Sobeys has announced the first 10 FreshCo locations will be opening in BC this year.
The brand’s discount grocery store will be replacing now-shuttered Sobeys-owned Safeways in Metro Vancouver and beyond.
- 54 Canadians sickened by Salmonella outbreak linked to raw breaded chicken
- 4 vegan fast-food options we wish would come to Canada
- McDonald's just released new spicy McChickens for a limited time
Five FreshCo locations are slated to open in spring 2019, replacing closed Safeway stores including the following.
- FreshCo Blundell (Richmond)
- FreshCo Broadmoor (Richmond)
- FreshCo Newton Town Center (Surrey)
- FreshCo Strawberry Hills (Surrey)
- FreshCo Mission (Mission)
Five current Safeway locations will be temporarily closed and reopened as FreshCo stores too.
The following locations will be temporarily closed for four-to-five months for renovations.
- Safeway Aldergrove (closing May 25, 2019)
- Safeway Downtown Chilliwack (closing May 25, 2019)
- Safeway Maple Ridge (closing May 25, 2019)
- Safeway Ladner – Trenant Park (closing July 13, 2019)
- Safeway Abbotsford (closing September 7, 2019)
All locations (except the Ladner one) will continue to operate temporary pharmacies while renovations and construction are underway.
Known for their “quality food at discount prices,” FreshCo offers customers the lowest price guaranteed (they price match), double fresh guaranteed (they will replace and reimburse an unsatisfactory product), and if something is out of stock, the store will give customers “a rain check + 10% off.”