Maclean’s Magazine has released its annual list of Canadian university rankings, and British Columbia’s Simon Fraser University (SFU) has topped the list for 2019 in the comprehensive category.
Schools were ranked based on the following categories:
- Student awards
- Student/ faculty ratio
- Faculty awards
- Social sciences and humanities grants
- Medical/ science grants
- Total research dollars
- Operating budget
- Library expenses
- Library acquisitions
- Scholarships and bursaries
- Student services
According to Maclean’s, universities in the Comprehensive category have a “significant amount of research activity and a wide range of programs at the undergraduate and graduate level, including professional degrees.”
In its report, Maclean’s said that SFU is “worth considering” for students looking for a wide selection of educational resources. The university offers 100 undergraduate and 45 graduate programs.
“SFU has a reputation for research programs with real-world applications, particularly when it comes to tech,” said Maclean’s.
The magazine also highlighted SFU’s newest program that prepares students for careers in Canada’s growing clean-tech cluster.
The university was recognized for the upcoming launch of Canada’s first visual computing master’s program, which has a focus on computer vision and human-computer interaction as well as its ongoing sustainability efforts and mental health resources for students.
The University of Victoria, Waterloo, Guelph, and Carleton, rounded out the top five universities on the list.
Top 15 universities in Canada, according to Maclean’s:
- Simon Fraser University – Burnaby, BC
- University of Victoria – Victoria, BC
- University of Waterloo – Waterloo, Ontario
- University of Guelph – Guelph, Ontario
- Carleton University – Ottawa, Ontario
- Wilfred Laurier University – Waterloo, Ontario
- Memorial University of Newfoundland – St. John’s, Newfoundland
- University of New Brunswick – Fredericton and St. John, New Brunswick
- York University – Toronto, Ontario
- Concordia University – Montreal, Quebec
- Ryerson University – Toronto, Ontario
- Université du Québec à Montréal – Montreal, Quebec
- Brock University – St. Catherines, Ontario
- University of Regina – Regina, Saskatchewan
- University of Windsor – Windsor, Ontario