Finally we know how much it cost to welcome Prince William, Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, Prince George and Princess Charlotte to British Columbia last year.
In total, British Columbia’s share of the royal tour expenses came to $613,363.93, according to a release on Thursday by the province.
The royal couple visited British Columbia between September 24 and October 1, spending time in Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna, Bella Bella and Haida Gwaii.
- Royal tour: Will and Kate in Vancouver in pictures (PHOTOS)
- Royal tour: William and Kate's day in Vancouver (PHOTOS, VIDEO)
- 13 memorable royal visits to Vancouver (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Prince George and Princess Charlotte remained in Victoria throughout the royal tour, while their parents toured the province.
However, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge did return to Victoria for various overnight stays, so as not to be away from the children too long.
$3,344.76 on protocol gifts
The costs listed by the province include funding preparations such as site reconnaissance, a dry run walk-through, media reconnaissance, and the actual tour.
The royal tour itself made up most of the cost, coming to $529,008.08, including $196,129.03 on security, $3,344.76 on gifts, and $102,260.18 on administrative services.
Spokesperson Karen van Marum told Daily Hive administrative services included “staff salaries, production of media guide and scenario/daily rollout binders for staff, office supplies.”
Gifts included bear blanket and guitar
Commenting on the gifts given to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, van Marum said the province offered gifts that “showed the diversity and talent of BC artisans and authors.”
According to van Marum, these gifts included:
- a bear blanket and spirit button wraps designed by Chloe Angus
- a guitar from Riversong Guitars in Kamloops made from BC wood
- BC authored children’s books for Prince George and Princess Charlotte
- a First Nations carved and painted paddle from a Haida artist
All these figures represent only the costs paid by British Columbia, since the province struck a cost sharing agreement with the Government of Canada.
A spokesperson for the Ministry of Canadian Heritage told Daily Hive the government does not yet have a final breakdown of the costs, but would provide it as soon as possible.
Royal tour 2016 costs breakdown
As provided by the BC government.
Site reconnaissance $10,899.09
A visit to tour locations, venues and organizations being considered for inclusion in the
royal tour by members of the provincial and federal government and security agencies.
- Duration: Seven days (July 3 – 9)
- Ground transportation: $2,162.38
- Program delivery (hospitality etc.): $252.28
- Travel – BC government officials and staff: $8,484.43
Dry run $55,628.81
Provincial and federal staff took part in a walk-through of the royal itinerary with representatives from Kensington Palace to refine the program and make final plans.
- Duration: Eight days (July 31 – August 8)
- Ground Transportation: $4,267.52
- Accommodation of royal household and staff: $4,460.23
- Transportation to/from Canada and within B.C. for royal household and
- Travel – BC government officials and staff: $29,285.31
Media reconnaissance $17,827.95
Members of the national and provincial media were given a chance to see the venues and tour elements to help plan media movements, positions and other logistics.
- Duration: Four days (September 10 – 13)
- Ground transportation: $1,742.82
- Travel – B.C. government officials and staff: $16,085.13
Royal Tour 2016 $529,008.08
- Duration: Eight days (September 24 to October 1)
- Administrative services and supplies: $102,260.18
- BC hosted function: $20,854.67
- Program delivery (hospitality etc.): $53,224.57
- Security: $196,129.03
- Accommodation of Their Royal Highnesses, royal household and staff:
- Protocol gifts: $3,344.76
- Transportation to/from Canada and within BC for Their Royal Highnesses,
royal household and staff: $27,589.89
- Travel – BC government officials and staff: $28,815.82
- Ground transportation for media: $8,856.10
- Media operations and services: $46,134.41