Roopesh Rajkumar charged with first-degree murder after death of 11-year-old daughter

Feb 15 2019, 11:26 pm

41-year-old Roopesh Rajkumar is now facing first-degree murder charges following the death of his 11-year-old daughter, Riya Rajkumar.

According to Peel Regional Police, following Roopesh’s arrest this morning, authorities say there was a “medical concern” and he was taken to hospital. He has since been transported to a trauma centre, in police custody.

Once he is medically cleared by doctors, the legal process can begin.

On Thursday evening, Roopesh was arrested after an Amber Alert was issued around 11 pm during the search for Riya.

However, the search ended in the worst way possible. At approximately 12:30 am, Peel Police confirmed that Riya had been found dead in her father’s apartment in Brampton.

See also

This is the second homicide of the year for the Peel region.

Riya did not live with her father full-time but was dropped off at a Mississauga gas station at approximately 3 pm so Roopesh could take her out on her birthday.

Her mother had received concerning messages from Roopesh, that indicated he intended to hurt himself and their daughter.

Her mother then reported her missing to police after Riya failed to return at the agreed time of 6:30 pm.

While the Amber Alert did wake up many in the region, resulting in many complaints being posted on social media, it ended up being the reason the suspect’s vehicle was spotted and reported to police.

Communications officers with Peel police said the force had received a series of complaints from people in the region that the Amber Alert was issued at a late hour.

“I can’t even begin to describe how disappointing and upsetting it is to read the comments, emails and calls to our communications bureau complaining about receiving an Amber Alert late at night,” wrote Const. Akhil Mooken on Twitter.

“I appreciate that a lot of people were sleeping, but the immediate need to locate the child outweighed the momentary inconvenience that some people encountered,” he continued.

“Tragically this incident did not have the outcome we were all hoping for but the suspect was located as a direct result of a citizen receiving the alert and calling 911. The system works.”

See also
Ainsley SmithAinsley Smith

+ News
+ Crime