We’re on to Day 10 of competition at the Olympics in Rio, and Canada has performed exceptionally well. We’ve had a medal to celebrate every day so far, the first time our country has ever achieved such a feat this deep into the Games.
It’s a relatively light day in terms of intriguing Canadian storylines, although Canada has a strong entry in the pole vault competition.
Top events of the day:
- Pole vault: Shawn Barber
- Volleyball: Canada vs Italy
Here’s what you need to watch today, in chronological order.
- 6:30 am PT (9:30 am ET): Men’s canoe (C1) 1000 m semi-finals
- 6:46 am PT (9:46 am ET): Women’s kayak (K2) 500 m semi-finals
- 7 am PT (10 am ET): Women’s kayak (K1) 200 m semi-finals
- 7:21 am PT (10:21 am ET): Men’s kayak (K1) 1000 m semi-finals
The canoe and kayak sprints begin and Canada has a number of medal contenders.
Mark Oldershaw won bronze four years ago in C1-1000 m. Andreanne Langlois won gold at the Pan Am Games last year in the K1-200 m. Adam van Koeverden is competing in his fourth Olympics in the K1-1000 m, but is not expected to add to his medal collection this time.
- 10 am PT (1 pm ET): Men’s rings final
- 10:54 am PT (1:54 pm ET): Men’s vault final
- 11:46 am PT (2:46 pm ET): Women’s beam final
Medals are on the line as the gymnastics competition continues.
3. Men’s Basketball
- 10:15 am PT (1:15 pm ET): Nigeria vs Brazil
- 3 pm PT (6 pm ET): Spain vs Argentina
- 6:30 pm PT (9:30 pm ET): Lithuania vs Croatia
The final day of the preliminary round, lots is on the line as teams try to qualify for the quarter-final.
4. Men’s Beach Volleyball – Quarter-finals
- 12 pm PT (3 pm ET): Dalhausser & Lucena (USA) vs Cerutti & Oscar Schmidt (BRA)
- 1 pm PT (4 pm ET): Nummerdor & Varenhorst (NED) vs Brouwer & Meeuwsen (NED)
- 7 pm PT (10 pm ET): Nicolai & Lupo (ITA) vs Barsuk & Liamin (RUS)
- 8 pm PT (11 pm ET): Krasilnikov & Semenov (RUS) vs Diaz Gomez & Gonzalez Bayard
We’re into the quarter-finals at Copacabana Beach.
5. Boxing – Heavyweight Gold Medal Bout
- 3:15 pm PT (6:15 pm ET): Evgeny Tishchenko (RUS) vs Vassiliy Levit (KAZ)
The title of heavyweight champion in men’s boxing is on the line.
6. Men’s Volleyball
- 4:30 pm PT (7:30 pm ET): Canada vs Italy
Canada, with a 2-2 record, is tied with France, Brazil, and the United States in Pool A heading into the final day of the preliminary round. Italy is at the top of the group at 4-0, so this is a meaningless game for them.
Canada is in danger of finishing fifth in the group, which would eliminate them. Winning the game, or at least a set, could help their cause.
7. Track and Field
- 4:35 pm PT (7:35 pm ET): Men’s pole vault final
- 6:25 pm PT (9:35 pm ET): Men’s 800 m final
- 6:45 pm PT (9:45 pm ET): Women’s 400 m final
Canada’s Shawn Barber is a medal threat in the pole vault. He’s the #2 pole vaulter in the world heading in to the competition.
- Canada's Andre De Grasse wins bronze at Olympic 100 m final
- Canada's Brianne Theisen-Eaton wins Olympic bronze in heptathlon