It’s the season to dine al fresco and you’re inviting friends over for a feast.
You hit up the grocery store armed with your shopping cart and a long list of all the ingredients you need. Aisle two, five, and nine – you’re traversing them like a pro. Then you remember two of your friends are on gluten-free diets and another can’t have lactose.
Wait a second, now there’s a problem…or so you think.
Cooking for anyone with food sensitivities doesn’t have to be an overwhelming task. It’s actually easy once you have some simple, delicious recipes and the ingredients to match. This way, you don’t have to compromise on flavour or price. And most importantly, you’ll win at cooking while saving time making scrumptious recipes that are both gluten and lactose-free.
Daily Hive has teamed up with President’s Choice to show you how you can make these easy, all-rounder recipes for the ingredient conscious people in your life with #CompromiseFree products.
Quick Moroccan lamb tagine
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped onions
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) cumin
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1 pkg PC® Lean Ground Australian Lamb
- About 375 g 1 pkg (900 mL) PC® Blue Menu Chicken Broth
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dried apricots, cut in half
- 1-1/3cups (325 mL) PC® Gluten-Free 100% Corn Couscous
- 1 tsp (5 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
1. In large nonstick frying pan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onions and carrot for 5 to 7 minutes or until softened and starting to brown.
2. Stir in garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add cumin, paprika, and cinnamon; cook for 1 minute, stirring.
3. Add lamb; cook for 6 to 7 minutes, breaking up with a spoon, or until no longer pink.
4. Add chicken broth and apricots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until mixture has thickened slightly.
5. Meanwhile, in small saucepan bring 1-1/3 cups (325 mL) water to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in couscous, cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
6. Fluff couscous with a fork. Stir vinegar, salt and pepper into lamb mixture. Serve over couscous. Garnish with chopped coriander, if desired.
Loaded lactose-free nachos
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 pkg (280 g) blue corn tortilla chips
- 3 cups (750 mL) shredded PC®Lactose-Free Marble Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced tomato
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced sweet yellow pepper
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) roughly chopped ,drained PC® Pickled, Sliced Jalapeño Peppers
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cilantro leaves
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) PC® Black Label Smoky Chipotle Salsa
- 1/2cup (125 mL) PC® Lactose-Free 14% M.F. Sour Cream
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Arrange half of the tortilla chips in single layer on prepared baking sheet; sprinkle with half each of the cheese, tomato, pepper, onion and jalapeño.
3. Repeat layers. Bake in centre of oven 10 to 12 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and golden.
4. Let stand 2 minutes then sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with salsa and sour cream.
Double chocolate marshmallow cupcakes
Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 pkg (400 g) PC® Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, softened (or vegetable oil)
- 1/2cup (125 mL) water
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped dark chocolate (70% or higher cocoa solids)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) corn syrup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cream of tartar toasted coconut flakes (optional)
Cupcakes: Follow package direction to make 12 cupcakes.
Ganache: Combine chocolate, cream and vanilla in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until melted, 30 to 40 seconds. Stir until smooth; set aside to cool and thicken slightly.
1. Combine egg whites, sugar, water, corn syrup, vanilla and cream of tartar in medium heatproof bowl. Place bowl over saucepan of simmering water. Using electric mixer, beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes.
2. Remove bowl from saucepan; continue to beat until frosting is cooled, about 2 minutes. Insert tip of paring knife 1-inch (2.5 cm) into the centre of each cupcake to form a well.
3. Fill a piping bag fitted with a medium plain tip with frosting; insert into cupcake well and pipe until full, smoothing excess. Stir ganache and spoon over top of cupcakes, covering filled wells.
4. Refrigerate until ganache is set, about 20 minutes. To finish, generously spoon a dollop of remaining frosting on top and sprinkle with coconut flakes (if using). You will have about 1/3 cup (75 mL) frosting leftover; save for another use.
To make your shopping easier, you can order your products online. Through the Click and Collect program, you can simply order and pick up at your local Real Canadian Superstore
Items are also available in-store at any Real Canadian Superstore, No Frills, Independent Grocer, or City Market. For even more cooking inspiration check out President’s Choice on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.