Environment Canada has issued a rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver this afternoon, with up to 70 mm forecasted for some areas.
This comes after a special weather statement was announced for the region earlier today.
The warning is in effect for the following areas:
- Metro Vancouver – central including the City of Vancouver Burnaby and New Westminster
- Metro Vancouver – North Shore including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
- Metro Vancouver – northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
- Metro Vancouver – southeast including Surrey and Langley
- Metro Vancouver – southwest including Richmond and Delta
“Rain at times heavy is expected,” notes the weather agency.
- See also:
“Periods of heavy rainfall will continue over Howe Sound, Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley late this afternoon and tonight. This moisture-laden system will deliver 40-70 mm of rain by Thursday morning. Embedded thunderstorms will bring additional localized amounts and rainfall rates of up to 20-30 mm/hr tonight.”
The rain is supposed to lesson Thursday but Environment Canada notes that “persistent moist, onshore flow will cause showers, heavy at times.”