The World in a Garden has developed a proposal for a temporary community garden located near the east entrance of Creekside Community Recreation Centre.
The Vancouver Park Board approved the project on February 17, 2014, after community engagement process that sought input from residents.
The new collaborative community Garden at Creekside (ie. Olympic Village) is holding its first build event this Saturday June 14.
This garden is collaboration with the city of Vancouver & Vancouver Park Board (approval and start-up funding), the Creekside Community Recreation Center (programming and stewardship), City Studio students (helping design and build the planters), World in a Garden (provided previous support), and the Environmental Youth Alliance (plant list and planning support). Also with the support of local volunteer residents.
The approved concept for the garden includes the following amenities:
- Mobile garden beds that can be easily moved or dismantled
- Accessible garden beds for people of all ages and abilities, with activities tied to community centre programs
- Community gathering spaces with benches and seating
- Integrated children’s play area
- Themed demonstration gardens with an education focus, including:
- Indigenous food plants
- Vertical growing wall and trellis
- Rain garden
- Culinary herb garden
- Pollinator beds
- Multilingual signs for greater accessibility and self-guided tours
- Rain barrels for water conservation
- Reused and repurposed materials from nearby businesses
- Tool storage shed and compost