When we picture our ideal summer, endless sunshine and ice-cold beverages are among the first things that spring to mind.
Although this year could be considered less than ideal, it’s showing us that we can all be resourceful and innovative in the face of a crisis. We’ve put international travel plans on pause, and we’re discovering the natural beauty of our surroundings closer to home.
But try as we might, it can be difficult to recreate our dream vacation in our backyard without one key element: summer drinks. While trying new at-home tapas and snack recipes, we discovered a DIY libation that practically oozes vacation vibes.
Behold, The Spicy Paloma.
What instantly attracted us to this perfectly balanced summer refresher is the fact that it’s almost effortless to prepare — and sugar-free. Plus, you’ll likely have most of the ingredients already stocked in your pantry.
To channel your inner bartender, you’ll need a couple of essentials: Nude Grapefruit Tequila Soda, a grapefruit, jalapeno, lime, sea salt, chili powder, black pepper, and some ice.
Grab a bowl from the kitchen and mix the sea salt, chili powder, and black pepper together before putting the mixture on a plate. Since spiciness is the foundation of this summer drink, you’ll want to rim two mason jars with some water (or lime) and dip them into the mixture.
With your jars ready, carefully add some ice and the juice of half a lime to each glass. Next, cut the grapefruit into thin slices, adding two pieces per glass. Slice the jalapeno down the centre, remove the seeds, and place each half in the glasses.
Like many great-tasting drinks, the alcohol comes last. Simply pour the Grapefruit Tequila Soda atop the rest of your ingredients, listen to the ice crackling, and taste your new go-to summer drink. It could be love at first sip.
If, after mastering The Spicy Paloma, you’re inspired to make another simple and sugar-free cocktail at home, check out Nude Beverages on Instagram for delicious step-by-step twists on classic recipes.
- 1 can of Nude Grapefruit Tequila Soda
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- Mix the sea salt, chili powder, and a few grinds of cracked pepper together. Rim your glass with some water and dip the glass edge into the salt mixture.
- Carefully add a handful of ice into each glass. Next, squeeze half a lime into each glass.
- Cut the grapefruit into thin slices and add two per glass. Slice the jalapeno in half, remove the seeds, and place a half segment into each glass.
- Pour the Grapefruit Tequila Soda over the ingredients. Stir and enjoy.