It’s National Coffee Day, a great reminder of the fact that Vancouver’s obsessed with its pumpkin spice latte (PSL). Fragrant hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice melding with notes of pumpkin remind us that out there, somewhere, there’s a fall without torrential downpour.
But the thing with the PSL is that it’s not exactly healthy. Most coffee shops use a pre-made syrup, pumped full of sugar and artificial flavours, to add some pumpkin love to their coffees. It’s a guilty pleasure – we promise ourselves that we’ll do 10 extra crunches to make up for it, and most of the time we forget.
Now there’s a way we can enjoy our pumpkin fix without the guilt. Bulletproof Coffee, an innovative company that’s passionate about helping you hack your way to more energy and better health, has developed a unique way to prepare coffee – and they’ve extended the method to our favourite fall drink.
To celebrate National Coffee Day, we’ve included the following recipe so you can whip one up at home.
The Bulletproof Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 1 ¼ cup full fat, unsweetened coconut milk (you can used canned if you want)
- 3 tbs Brain Octane™ or XCT oil
- 3 tbs organic pumpkin puree
- 2 tbs Stevia/Erythritol blend (you may prefer raw honey or maple syrup)
- 1 tbs grass-fed unsalted butter
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice)
- ½ tsp Bulletproof® vanilla
- Optional: 1 tbs raw organic maple syrup
- Optional: 2 tbs raw whipped cream on top
- Combine all ingredients in saucepan. Over medium heat, simmer for approximately five minutes. Stir well to evenly blend spices and oils.
- In blender, add 2 1/2 cups Bulletproof® coffee (brewed strong) and the pumpkin spice mixture from saucepan. Blend on high for 30 seconds until creamy and frothy.
If you don’t have blender, add premade coffee to the pumpkin mixture and use hand blender in saucepan.
- If you would like a sweeter (but less Bulletproof) version, add one tablespoon of raw organic maple syrup to the blend. You can also add raw cream or whipped cream on top for a special treat, if you can find it!
You probably noticed a few unusual ingredients in this PSL recipe – butter and Brain Octane™ oil specifically. These are an essential part of what makes Bulletproof Coffee different, and what makes this recipe so guilt-free.
Bulletproof Coffee was developed with traditional Tibetan yak tea in mind – that drink also uses fats like butter and brain octane oil. In both drinks, beneficial fats help shepherd the coffee’s caffeine into you body so you feel alert and energized much longer.
Although it may seem counter intuitive, Bulletproof Coffee can also help you lose weight. Low-fat diets actually reduce the amount of fat-digesting enzymes your body produces – by including healthy fats in your diet, you increase your ability to break them down and use them for function, not flab.