To bring back the old time neighbourhood bakery vibe of yesteryear, Vancouver’s Lucky’s Doughnuts is launching a “Baker’s Dozen Combo.”
The Baker’s Dozen Combo is a set of 13 doughnuts for the price of a dozen (aren’t bakers the best?!). Since Lucky’s specializes in what we might call artisanal doughnuts, your 13 glorious gems are boxed up for $30, and we’re pretty sure if you bring those to your next work meeting or family gathering you will be very, very popular.
The timing is perfect, because June 5 is the day our friends in that big country to the south of us are observing their National Donut Day, and there’s no reason why Vancouver can’t get in on the doughnut loving.
Lucky’s is family owned and operated, and makes some of the city’s damn finest orbs of sugary dough.
To usher in the summer season, Lucky’s is also debuting a half-dozen new seasonal flavours on June 5:
• Pineapple Upside Downut — Lucky’s play on the classic cake is filled with pineapple curd and topped with brown sugar icing, a slice of candied pineapple and a Maraschino cherry.
• Strawberry/ Kiwi — Classic pairing filled with a kiwi curd / strawberry glaze topped with strawberry and kiwi
• Blueberry Bismarck — Blueberry filled with a blueberry glaze.
• Blueberry Square — A classic blueberry-filled square doughnut covered in granulated sugar.
• Matcha —Matcha-and-white-chocolate cream-filled doughnut topped with a Yuzu glaze and a matcha drizzle.
• Salted Caramel Old Fashioned — Classic Old-Fashioned dipped in a creamy soft caramel and finished with a sprinkle of Maldon salt. (This is an improved version of a favourite from the Lucky’s original roster of doughnuts.)
We’ve done the hard research of taste-driving these new flavours, and they are delectable. The Pineapple Upside Downut is best in show, and nothing beats fresh blueberries in season. Then again, an Old Fashioned with salted caramel has the potential to take the cake.
2902 Main Street, Mount Pleasant/604-872-4901
2198 West 4th Avenue, Kitsilano/604-420-4901