East Vancouver church redevelopment includes 104 rental homes

Sep 18 2019, 8:58 am

A sizeable church property in East Vancouver, located within a short walking distance from SkyTrain’s Commercial-Broadway Station, could be redeveloped into a new rental housing building with a new church space.

See also:

Lakewood Multicultural United Church is working with Colliers International to redevelop its 31,400-sq-ft property at 2025 East 12th Avenue — the northeast corner of the intersection of East 12th Avenue and Semlin Drive.

Lakewood Multicultural United Church 2025 East 12th Avenue Vancouver

Site of the Lakewood Multicultural United Church redevelopment at 2025 East 12th Avenue, Vancouver. (SHAPE Architecture / Colliers International)

Lakewood Multicultural United Church 2025 East 12th Avenue Vancouver

Site of the Lakewood Multicultural United Church redevelopment at 2025 East 12th Avenue, Vancouver. (Google Maps)

The rezoning application outlines plans for a 65-ft-tall, six-storey building with 104 rental homes. At least 30% of the units will be permanently dedicated as affordable housing, while the remaining 70% will be market rental units.

The unit mix is 56 studio units, 38 two-bedroom units, and 10 three-bedroom units.

At the ground level along the East 12th Avenue frontage, Lakewood will have a new replacement church space totalling 7,400 sq. ft., including a new sanctuary, multi-purpose rooms, kitchen, and office space.

Lakewood Multicultural United Church 2025 East 12th Avenue Vancouver

Artistic rendering of the Lakewood Multicultural United Church redevelopment at 2025 East 12th Avenue, Vancouver. (SHAPE Architecture / Colliers International)

Lakewood Multicultural United Church 2025 East 12th Avenue Vancouver

Artistic rendering of the Lakewood Multicultural United Church redevelopment at 2025 East 12th Avenue, Vancouver. (SHAPE Architecture / Colliers International)

“Situating the church along East 12th Avenue allows for a greater church presence and visibility along the building’s most public face,” reads the design rationale by SHAPE Architecture.

“Stepping down the building form along the north edge of Semlin Drive creates a transitional massing to lower density buildings towards the north,” and this is supplemented by a landscaped courtyard on the northeast corner of the property that acts as a buffer between the new development and the adjacent Lakewood Terrace Co-op.

Lakewood Multicultural United Church 2025 East 12th Avenue Vancouver

Artistic rendering of the Lakewood Multicultural United Church redevelopment at 2025 East 12th Avenue, Vancouver. (SHAPE Architecture / Colliers International)

Lakewood Multicultural United Church 2025 East 12th Avenue Vancouver

Artistic rendering of the Lakewood Multicultural United Church redevelopment at 2025 East 12th Avenue, Vancouver. (SHAPE Architecture / Colliers International)

A Passive House green building standard has been established as a project goal. For access, a single underground level will host 43 vehicle parking stalls and 224 bike parking spaces.

The total floor area of the proposal is 77,547 sq. ft., giving the building a floor space ratio density of 2.47 times the size of the lot.

The application falls under the city’s Grandview-Woodland Community Plan, and its height is restrained by the six-storey view cone that crosses through the site.

Lakewood Multicultural United Church 2025 East 12th Avenue Vancouver

Artistic rendering of the Lakewood Multicultural United Church redevelopment at 2025 East 12th Avenue, Vancouver. (SHAPE Architecture / Colliers International)

Lakewood Multicultural United Church 2025 East 12th Avenue Vancouver

Artistic rendering of the Lakewood Multicultural United Church redevelopment at 2025 East 12th Avenue, Vancouver. (SHAPE Architecture / Colliers International)

See also: