So much excitement surrounds the spring time, it’s easy to get distracted from the unique stage offerings around the city.
Between gardening and vacation planning, make room for a dance show, a cowboy-noir opera or a good old-fashioned ballet. These are the hottest arts shows in Vancouver this May.
BC Buds Festival
Thirty different music, theatre, dance, interdisciplinary artists take over the every nook and cranny of Vancouver’s artsiest firehall. Performers include Alastair Knowles, Andrew Barrett, Ashley Whitehead and dance group Subscura.
- When: May 7 to 9
- Where: Firehall Arts Centre – 280 East Cordova Street, Vancouver
- More Info: Firehall Arts Centre
The latest from Ballet BC is a two-parter inspired by The Rite of Spring. Written in 1913 for Sergei Diaghilev’s Ballets Russes, The Rite of Spring is a ballet and orchestral concert work by Russian composer Igor Stravinsky with original choreography by Vaslav Nijinsky.
- When: May 7 to 9
- Where: Queen Elizabeth Theatre – 649 Cambie Street, Vancouver
- More Info: Ballet BC
Talented dancer Sujit Vaidya takes the stage with a host of accompanying artists and musicians.
- When: May 16
- Where: Scotiabank Dance Centre – 677 Davie Street, Vancouver
- More Info: Sujit Vaidya
James & Jamesy in High Tea
Expect tea, merriment, and an outpouring of audience escapades when James & Jamesy bring their wonderfully peculiar and endearingly entertaining world to Jericho Arts Centre with their new critically-acclaimed show, High Tea.
- When: May 18 to 24
- Where: Jericho Arts Centre – 1675 Discovery Street, Vancouver
- More Info: James & Jamesy
EDAM Dance presents the second of this season’s choreographic series, Footnotes, featuring new dance by Peter Bingham and guest artists Claire French and Jay Hirabayashi.
- When: May 20, 22, 23, 27, 29 and 30
- Where: EDAM Studio Theatre – 303 East 8th Avenue, Vancouver
- More Info: EDAM Dance
Hell of a Girl: A Cowboy-Noir Opera
This cowboy opera is a presentation of this year’s rEvolver Theatre Festival. Loosely based on the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, Hell of a Girl is set in a timeless world with cowboys, nymphs and demons, and told through 26 original songs about obsession, perdition and love.
- When: May 20 to 24
- Where: The Cultch – 1895 Venables Street, Vancouver
- More Info: Upintheair Theatre