Health Canada has issued a recall for a brand of pumpkin pie jam because it may contain a harmful bacteria that can cause facial paralysis if ingested.
My Grandfather’s Farm brand Pumpkin Pie Jam is being recalled because Health Canada says it may permit the growth of Clostridium botulinum – the bacterium that causes botulism.
The recall was issued on November 20, and the affected jam is dated September 10.
The products may not look or smell spoiled, but food contaminated with the toxin can cause serious side effects.
Health Canada says symptoms of foodborne botulism in adults include facial paralysis or loss of expression, unreactive pupils, difficulty swallowing, drooping eyelids, blurred or double vision, difficulty speaking or slurred speech, and a change in voice, including hoarseness.
In children, possible symptoms include difficulty swallowing, slurred speech, weakness, and paralysis.
“In severe cases of illness, people may die,” Health Canada warned. “Consumers should not consume the recalled product.”
The federal health authority advises that the jam should be thrown away or returned to the store where it was purchased. Anyone who thinks they may have become sick from ingesting the jam should call their doctor.