Canada’s most famous annual criterium bike race, the Global Relay Gastown Grand Prix, will see top professional cyclists speed down Gastown’s streets next week.
- 10 historical photos of Vancouver's Global Relay Gastown Grand Prix
- Global Relay Gastown Grand Prix speeding into Vancouver in July
The race on the night of Wednesday, July 13 is totally free to watch and is sure to be a thrill – but it’s also a golden opportunity to make an entire afternoon and evening of it.
And Gastown certainly has it all. History, modern fashion, current trends, great art, exceptional food and lots of coffee.
It also has enough Happy Hours to fill the face of a clock, twice over.
Here’s some of the best places in Gastown to sit, sip, and savour delicious drinks and munch on good food before the race begins!
- What: Bambudda offers Hong Kong Style elevated cuisine with intricate flavours, complemented by adventurous craft cocktails from the talented bar team.
- Where: 99 Powell Street, Vancouver
- When: It’s Happy Hour at the bar every day except Monday, from 5:30 to 6:30 pm. Get half price small plates and $7 classic cocktails.
- What: L’Abattoir is on the site of Vancouver’s first jail. Now it serves French influenced West Coast fare with an eclectic wine program and innovative cocktail list.
- Where: 217 Carrall Street, Vancouver
- When: Happy Hour is every day from 5:30 to 6:30 pm – it’s first come first served at the bar, with half-priced appetizers, daily red and white wines for $6, beer for $5, and cocktail specials for $7.
- What: Vegetarian and vegan centred MeeT is a comfortable room to connect with friends and not worry about anyone being left out in the mix.
- Where: 12 Water Street (the inner courtyard), Vancouver
- When: Happy Hour is from 3 to 5 pm and from 10 pm to close, with $4 sleeves of Phillips Lager and $5 Groovy Gravy Fries or Corn Fritters.
- What: Vancouver’s awardwinning first VPN-certified Neapolitan Pizzeria, honouring the culinary traditions from four generations of the Nicli family.
- Where: 62 East Cordova Street, Vancouver
- When: Happy Hour is from 3 to 5 pm, with half price draught beer and half price Margherita pizza.
- What: Taking its name from the Hawaiian word for delicious, ONO Raw Bar offers an extensive selection of fresh fish flown in daily from the Sea of Japan and the Pacific Ocean.
- Where: 221 Carrall Street, Vancouver
- When: Happy Hour is from 3 to 6 pm, with sake, wine and beer specials along with delicious bites including Karaage ‘Teba’, Tuna Poke and Spicy Pork Lettuce Wraps
- What: Southern Styled BBQ joint Peckinpah serves up Carolina-style meats, like pulled pork, beef brisket and BBQ pork ribs.
- Where: 2 Water Street, Vancouver
- When: Happy Hour is from 3 to 6 pm, with $5 draught beer, $4 mystery cans, $4.50 thick cut 1/4 lb house-made bacon skewers and $7 Ocean Wise cornmeal battered oysters.
- What: The Revel Room’s seasonal menus and bourbon-forward cocktail list are inspired by the flavours of the South from New Mexico to New Orleans.
- Where: 238 Abbott Street, Vancouver
- When: “Sour Hour” is Tuesday through Saturday afternoons from 4 to 6 pm, with $6 sours, $5 craft beers and $9 tipsy pour (9oz) wines – and free live boogie piano.
- What: Plated by oyster-shucking professionals, Rodney’s serves oysters with a range of house-made sauces, from the delightfully sweet to the quick-pass-me-a-drink fiery.
- Where: 1228 Hamilton Street, Vancouver
- When: “Low Tide” is Monday through Saturday, from 3 to 6 pm, with cheap oysters, mussels, clams, garlic shrimp and Haida Gwaii Candy.
- What: Located in one of Vancouver’s oldest buildings, Six Acres is a boisterous brick-lined establishment. Open for lunch and dinner, Six Acres offers home-style cooking and rustic share plates, alongside a top shelf beer and drink selection.
- Where: 203 Carrall Street, Vancouver
- When: Happy Hour is from 11:30 am to 6 pm, with cheap drinks and appies.
- What: The Diamond is a Gastown gem, known for its gorgeous digs, delectable food and fabulous cocktail program.
- Where: 6 Powell Street, Vancouver
- When: Happy Hour goes until 7:30 pm
- What: With arguably one of the best fish tacos in the city, Tacofino in Gastown is a must-visit food destination for anyone craving this handheld delight.
- Where: 15 Blood Alley Square, Vancouver
- When: Tacofino switches it up every day with a rotating Happy Hour menu from 3 to 6 pm.
- What: The Flying Pig in Gastown boasts a beautifully furnished space and a reliably good menu, focusing on “nouveau Canadian bistro” fare.
- Where: 102 Water Street, Vancouver
- When: There’s an excellent “Appy Hour” every day from 4 to 6 pm, with Sriracha BBQ Chicken Drumstick, Beef Carpaccio and Truffled Jumbo Macaroni on offer.
- What: The other pig in town offers its patrons one of the best cheese and butcher plates in Vancouver – and one of the city’s most lavish grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Where: 307 Cordova Street, Vancouver
- When: Happy Hour is Tuesday through Friday, from 3 to 6 pm, and includes $4 single high balls, $6 doubles, $4 sleeves, $5 pints and $15 pitchers of draft beer. The Flying Pig also has house red and white wines for $5, with a $4-$7 appetizer menu to choose from.
- What: The folks at The Irish Heather specialize in European stylized pub fare and Canadian comfort classics. The handsome locale even earned a major nod for being a top Irish Whiskey Bar outside of Ireland in the Irish Whiskey Awards in 2015.
- Where: 210 Carrall Street, Vancouver
- When: “Fun for all the family” Happy Hour allows kids to eat free from lunch until 7 pm (one child per adult). Happy Hour runs from 3 to 6 pm daily, with various drinks for $5 and Jameson Irish Whiskey for $4.
- What: Rustic and welcoming, Tuc Craft Kitchen offers comfort food in a casual atmosphere and a variety of fun and creative cocktails.
- Where: 60 West Cordova Street, Vancouver
- When: With discounted tipples, beer taps and wine on the board, Tuc Craft Kitchen’s Happy Hour is short but sweet, from 5 to 6 pm.
- What: Clued-up staff command the eclectic South American wine list, progressive cocktails and locally sourced, premium-take on Vancouver street food.
- Where: 212 Abbott Street, Vancouver
- When: Cocktail Happy Hour runs Monday to Friday from 5 to 7 pm, and Sunday to Thursday from midnight to 1 am, with $7 select classic cocktails, $4 Jameson, $4 Highballs, $5 hot dogs and $4 Fernet Branca. Free bar snacks included.
- What: A bastion of bourbon soaked history — still strong is its legacy as Gastown’s oldest and liveliest watering hole. Now a local craft beer focus paired with handsome cocktails and a modern menu brings this familiar public house to life.
- Where: 92 Water Street, Vancouver
- When: At The Lamplighter you’ll find Happy Hour from Monday to Friday, 3 to 6 pm. Try their Best Boudin Balls and Bourbon Bacon Popcorn.
- What: Portside’s owners grew up surrounded by establishments laden with wood, rope and more wood. The goal with the Portside is to be the friendliest bar in Vancouver. Great beer, friendly staff, comforting food, good music, fine people.
- Where: 7 Alexander Street, Vancouver
- When: Happy Hour runs from 5 to 7 pm and includes a $6 appie menu featuring lobster roll and many other nibbles, plus 22 local craft beers on special for $5.
- What: This microbrewery sits on the fringe of Gastown, just a stone’s throw from Waterfront Station, offering its own house beers with range of tasty pub grub.
- Where: 375 Water Street, Vancouver
- When: Happy Hour Lunch runs every day of the week until 2.30 pm. Beer costs less than pop – you can get a cylinder of Kolsch for $2.50.
- What: The king of pubs, the Blarney Stone is a local monument for all things Irish. When hunger strikes, order the parmesan truffle fries or deep fried pickles.
- Where: 216 Carrall Street, Vancouver
- When: All Day Happy Hour drink specials include single hi-balls for $4.57, doubles for $6.96 and Budweiser pitchers for $13.48.
- What: A popular hangout for students and young travellers alike, thanks to the attached hostel, The Cambie Pub’s patio serves cheap beer and a eclectic social scene.
- Where: 300 Cambie Street, Vancouver
- When: All Day Happy Hour drink specials include beer on tap for $4.25, cocktails for $4.75 and shooters for $4.
- What: The Charles Bar literally supports the ground floor of the famous Woodward’s building, offering locals well-crafted food and drinks in low booths or up at the bar.
- Where: 136 West Cordova Street, Vancouver
- When: Happy Hour is Monday to Friday from 3 to 6 pm. Wings are $8.95, domestic draft is $4, house red or white is $4 and well highballs are $3.
- What: Chill Winston has an incredible patio, certainly Gastown’s biggest and arguably the best. They also have a Chill Winston beer and small plates that include crispy drumsticks, spicy meatballs and olives. Most items are $6 or less.
- Where: 136 West Cordova Street, Vancouver
- When: Happy Hour is from 3 to 6 pm every day of the week and includes a specialty rotating cocktail, plus their Bourbon Peach Tea.
And one more bonus happy hour for you:
- What: An intimate restaurant, complete with a quiet patio, where you’ll be happy to find classic French cuisine, like moules et frites, French onion soup and vanilla crème brûlée. Mais oui!
- Where: 216 Abbott Street, Vancouver
- When: Jules Bistro offers a generous 30% off their wine list from 2.30pm to 5.30pm each day.
Where: Start/finish line next to Gastown’s steamclock, spectators can line route down Water and Cordova streets
When: Wednesday, July 13
Time: Youth race at 5:30 pm, opening ceremonies at 5:55 pm, women’s race at 6:15 pm, men’s race at 7:30 pm
Daily Hive Vancouver is a proud sponsor of Global Relay Gastown Grand Prix