It’s summer in the city – time for tacos on the patio, beercycling tours of the Eastside, and hot, hot music festivals.
Except, all that can leave your wallet feeling a little light.
But never fear, Daily Hive is here! Here’s a carefully curated list of fun, free activities that will keep your summer cheap and cheerful – enjoy!
Free things to do in Vancouver Summer 2016
- What: The Evo Summer Cinema Series of free outdoor movies, shown on a four-storey inflatable movie screen in Stanley Park. This year’s schedule includesPurple Rain, Dirty Dancing, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens!
- Where: Ceperley Meadows (Second Beach), Stanley Park
- When: Every Tuesday from July 5 to August 23, movies start at dusk
- Schedule: Free outdoor movies Vancouver 2016 at Stanley Park schedule
- What: You may think The Fair is overpriced and far too small for a metro region of 2.5 million, but it’s hard to say no when admission is free. Expect long lineups if the weather cooperates. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.
- Where: The Fair at the PNE – 2901 East Hastings Street, Vancouver
- When: Tuesday, 23 August and Tuesday, 30 August, from 11 am to 1 pm
- What: Vancouver’s pinnacle summer event, as fireworks galore are launched off a barge in English Bay. Of special note, the Walt Disney Company will produce this year’s display for the United States.
- Schedule and nations:
- Saturday, July 23: Netherlands, represented by Royal Fireworks
- Wednesday, July 27: Australia, represented by Howard’s Fireworks
- Saturday, July 30: United States, represented by the Walt Disney Company
- Time: 10 to 10:25 pm (25-minute duration every night)
- Location: English Bay, Vancouver
- What: Western Canada’s largest Canada Day Celebration is a jam-packed day filled with fun for the whole family and is capped off by an impressive Burrard Inlet Fireworks display. This year’s party is going retro to mark the 30 years since Expo too.
- Where: Canada Place, Jack Poole Plaza and the seawall near the Convention Centre
- When: Friday, July 1, all day, fireworks at around 10 pm