Canada’s suburbs are some of the fastest-growing cities in the country.
According to Canada’s 2016 results, Warman, Saskatchewan, saw the greatest population increase between 2011 and 2016.
- 2016 Census: Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are home to one-third of all Canadians
- Census 2016: Western provinces' populations are the fastest growing in Canada
The city is located 22 km from Saskatoon. In 2011, Warman’s population was recorded at 7,104. In 2016, the city’s population grew 55.1% to 11,020.
Alberta leads the pack with six of the 10 Canadian cities with fastest growing population located in the province.
Blackfalds, Cochrane, and Airdrie, Alberta saw a 48%, 47%, and 42% jump in population between 2011 and 2016, respectively.
The Census reports that Alberta is the fastest growing provinces in Western Canada, with an 11.6% increase in population from 2011 to 2016.
Two Ontario municipalities– Shelburne and Milton– also made the top-ten fastest growing city list.
In BC, the Tsinstikeptum Indian reserve rounded out the list. Located three hours from Vancouver, the reserve saw a 29.6% jump in population between 2011 to 2016.
While these cities and towns are growing the fastest, the Census reports that Canada’s most populated metropolitan cities–Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver– are slowing in their growth.
In Toronto, the population grew just 6.2%, while the population in Montreal rose 4.2%, and Vancouver’s population went up 6.5% – all of which hover around the national average of 5%.
10 fastest growing cities in Canada
- Warman, SK,- 11,020 (55% increase from 2011)
- Blackfalds, AB- 9,328 (48% increase from 2011)
- Cochrane, AB- 25,853 (47% increase from 2011)
- Airdrie, AB- 61,581 (42% increase from 2011)
- Shelburne, ON- 8,126 (39% increase from 2011)
- Chestermere, AB- 19,887 (34% increase from 2011)
- Beaumont, AB- 17,396 (31 % increase from 2011)
- Milton, ON- 110,128 (30.5% increase from 2011)
- Spruce Grove, AB- 34,006 (30% increase from 2011)
- Tsinstikeptum Indian, BC- 7,612 (29.6% increase from 2011)
With files from Liora Ipsum.