FEATURED EVENTS IN VANCOUVER
Saturday couldn’t have come sooner! From food trucks to Chinese New Year celebrations, there is plenty going on in the city today.
For more things happening around town, check out our events section.
Find your favourite food truck at Street Food City
What better way to start your week than with tacos from @Tacofinovan? #StreetFoodCity starts tomorrow 11MAM – 3PM – Jan 23-29. Event info 👉 Link in Bio. . . #DOVF #Delicious #Foodtrucklife #foodcouver #foodevents #vancouver #food #foodtruck #yvrevent #tacofino #taco #tacotruck #tacofinovan #foodspotting #feedfeed
- What: The sixth annual “food truck pod,” a vibrant pop-up starring local food trucks, is finishing up this weekend as part of Dine Out Vancouver’s expanded programming. More than 25 food trucks have been rotating throughout the week-long festival.
- Where: Howe Street, between Georgia and Smith Streets, and on the 800 Robson Street Plaza
- When: Monday, January 23 and Sunday, January 29, from 11 am to 5 pm
- Tickets: Free entry, just buy your own food
Celebrate the Year of the Rooster at Dharma Drum
- What: Bring out the whole family to ring in the new year with drumming, lion dancing, craft making, performances of Chinese instruments and traditional songs, and an interactive demonstration of the ancient Chan (Zen) tea ceremony.
- Where: Dharma Drum Vancouver Center – 8240 No.5 Rd, Richmond
- When: Saturday, January 28 to Sunday, January 29, from 1:30 to 3:30pm
- Admission: Free
Get your shop on at Muji Vancouver
- What: Japanese clothing and accessories brand Muji opened a pop-up store earlier this week as part of the Japan Unlayered exhibition, celebrating contemporary Japanese architecture, design, and culture, designed to be a sensory experience.
- Where: Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel – 1038 Canada Place, Vancouver
- When: Open from 11 am to 7 pm; from Friday, January 27 to Sunday, January 29, then Monday to Friday until Tuesday, February 28
- Reserve: On Eventbrite, totally free, but reservations compulsory
Get creative at Coptic Bookbinding
- What: Ever want to learn how to make your own books – those ones with the cool stitching on the spine that lie flat when you open them? Artist extraordinaire and organizer at Youth for Chinese Seniors, Chanel Ly, can teach you how!
- Where: WePress – 202-268 Keefer Street, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, January 28, from 1 to 3 pm
- Reserve: On Eventbrite, sliding scale prices (suggested $40). Fee includes bookmaking supplies.
Celebrate more Chinese New Year fun at LunarFest 2017
- What: LunarFest is Canada’s premier presenter of contemporary expression in Asian arts and culture – and they’re celebrating the Year of the Rooster! Enjoy Rooster Winter Games, arts, workshops, games, and performances, all for free.
- Where: Queen Elizabeth Theatre Plaza – 650 Hamilton St, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, January 28 to Sunday, January 29, from noon to 6 pm
- Admission: Totally free
Connect with a supportive mental health community at Welcome to TIP LABS
- What: The Tipping Point movement recognized a need for community, self-design, and personalized learning for the young people graduating high school and entering university. Join them to learn more about the program and how you could be a part of this small community!
- Where: City Hub Initiative— 1445 West Georgia Street, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, January 28, from 2 to 4 pm
- Tickets: Available online, $10
Shop for local goods at Eastside Flea Spring Markets
- What: This flea market is more like a party. Not only are there more than 50 local vendors, artisan showrooms, food trucks, and pinball on Saturdays and Sundays, there are DJs, craft beer, drink specials, and select vendors on Friday nights.
- Where: The Ellis Building – 1024 Main Street, Vancouver
- When: Fridays from 6 to 10 pm, weekend days from 11 am to 5 pm – every other weekend:
- January 27 to January 29
- February 10 to February 12
- February 24 to February 26
- March 10 to March 12
- March 24 to March 26
- Admission: On the door, $3 single day or $5 weekend pass
Get your fresh produce at Nat Bailey Stadium Farmers Market
- What: Find local produce, meat, seafood, artisan cheese, bread, herbs, baked goods, artisanal crafts, and more at this farmers market in a stadium.
- Where: Nat Bailey Stadium – 4601 Ontario Street, Vancouver
- When: Saturdays between January 7 to April 22, from 10 am to 2 pm
- Admission: Totally free
Try a gentle workout at Qui Gong Saturdays
- What: Qi Gong is a gentle flowing movement class taught by master Hing Tse.
This is a class that everyone can participate in from youngsters to seniors. Hing will show you how to move your body for greater flexibility, balance and well-being. Wear loose, comfortable clothing and flat shoes. All levels welcome.
- Where: Vital Health Medical Clinic Kitsilano – 1855 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver
- When: Saturday mornings in January, from 9 to 10 am
- Register: On Eventbrite, totally free
See if spring is on its way at Groundhog Day in Newton
- What: Join Lou Jack the Groundhog in the Newton Grove for a pajama party to celebrate an early Groundhogs Day! Complete with crafts, games and hot chocolate, the third annual Groundhog Day in Newton is sure to have something for everyone.
- Where: Newton Recreation Centre- 13730 72 Avenue, Surrey
- When: Saturday, January 28, from 10 am to noon
- Cost: Free
Get active at Robson Square Skating Rink
- What: The Robson Square Ice Rink, located in downtown Vancouver, is open until February 14. Skating is free with your own skates, otherwise, rentals are available. The rink also features a concession stand with snacks and warm drinks.
- Where: Robson Square – 800 Robson Square, Vancouver
- When: The rink is open daily from 9 am to 9 pm Sunday to Thursday, and from 9 am to 11 pm Fridays and Saturdays, until February 14.
- Admission: Free with your own skates, or rent for $4
Support the ladies at Strong Female Character
- What: In this group exhibition, Strong Female Character, three female artists look at feminine identity, both past and present, as defined within Western culture.
- Where: Hot Art Wet City – 2206 Main Street, Vancouver
- When: Thursday, January 12 to Saturday, January 28, various times, check website for details
- Admission: Free