Winter is coming, Vancouver.
Environment Canada has issued a special weather alert for “rain possibly mixed with wet snow after midnight Friday with a slight risk of localized freezing rain.”
The alert is in effect for the following areas:
- City of Vancouver – including Burnaby and New Westminster
- Metro Vancouver – northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
- Metro Vancouver – southeast including Surrey and Langley
- Metro Vancouver – southwest including Richmond and Delta
- North Shore – including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
According to the weather agency, a “weak weather system” is heading to the coast on Friday night.
“In advance of this system, cloud cover and winds will increase late in the day and likely hinder surface temperatures from dropping below zero Friday night. With the layer of relatively warmer air above the surface, a scenario of rain mixed with some wet snow is favoured,” said Environment Canada.
Although the forecast is showing a mixed bag of weather, be prepared for something wet and cold to be falling from the sky on Friday night.