When it comes to talking points in Vancouver, traffic typically takes a spot somewhere near the top.
And now, Reddit users are chiming in with their thoughts, after a report was posted on the site identifying the city’s “10 most dangerous” intersections
And while the map in the report is admittedly built from ICBC data available in 2016, one only has to look at the list of intersections down the side to realize many are repeat offenders.
And while some of the areas listed aren’t technically “intersections” they’ve been included in the list because of their high crash ratio, as recorded from 2011 to 2015.
“Crashes between intersections have recently been added to this map and are plotted in the middle of the nearest two intersections,” the report states. “In the summary table, these crashes are grouped to the nearest 100 block/city block.”
According to the report, the top 10 most dangerous intersections / driving areas in Vancouver are:
- Knight Street Bridge and SE Marine Drive / SE Marine Drive off-ramp
- The Knight Street Bridge (in general)
- Boundary Road and Grandview Highway
- The Lions Gate Bridge (in general)
- Boundary Road and Kingsway
- Main Street and Terminal Avenue
- East 1st Avenue / East 1st Avenue off-ramp / East 1st Avenue on-ramp at Highway 1
- Burrard Street and Burrard Street Bridge / Burrard Street Bridge and Pacific Street
- Granville Street and West 41st Avenue
- Denman Street and West Georgia Street
These areas all combined accounted for a total of 7,797 crashes in the given time period.
And while Reddit users may agree or disagree with the selections, we’d say it’s still a good idea to excercise a little extra caution when driving in these particular areas.