COVID-19 outbreak at Surrey Memorial Hospital leaves 13 people dead

Feb 12 2021, 12:29 pm

A COVID-19 outbreak at Surrey Memorial Hospital ended with 13 people dead, Fraser Health has confirmed.

The outbreak was first declared on November 18, and was officially declared over earlier this week.

Fraser Health media spokesperson Dixon Tam told Daily Hive a total of 76 patients and 39 staff cases were associated with the outbreak.

On its website, Fraser Health stresses the importance of those living in the region to use the COVID-19 assessment tool and get tested as soon as they begin to experience COVID-19-like symptoms, even mild ones.

Provincial health officials said that as of Thursday afternoon, 449 new test-positive coronavirus cases had been confirmed in BC, bringing the total number of recorded cases in the province to 72,305, with the total death toll from the virus in the province now at 1,278.

There are 4,317 active cases of COVID-19 in the province. There are 224 individuals currently hospitalized with the virus, 63 of whom are in intensive care. The remaining people with COVID-19 are recovering at home in self-isolation.

Currently, 6,869 people are under active public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases.

A total of 66,603 people who tested positive have now recovered, and to date, 159,887 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in BC, 15,684 of which are second doses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT