Barbecue season is in full swing.
The sun is blazing. Everyone’s in a better mood. Music is playing. And you’re ready to indulge in everything char-grilled and sizzling.
Now imagine if you could combine all of the above in a festival atmosphere where a master of barbecue grills your food.
Well, you actually can.
The first ever festival of its kind is hitting up Chilliwack on Saturday, July 29 and Sunday July 30. And you’ll get to taste food cooked by internationally renowned BBQ master, Rusty Johnson.
Taking place at Prospera Centre, you can visit the two-day Chilliwack BBQ & Corn Fest and enjoy everything from food to local brews and wine, live music, and even face painting.
To show you why visiting the inaugural festival is a great idea, we’ve compiled a list of the top six features of this special event.
Yep, admission to this awesome food and entertainment-filled festival is completely free. All you have to do is bring money for all the tasty barbecue fare you’ll buy.
This world-renowned grill master has been barbecuing professionally for six years and has represented Canada on the International Stage of BBQ multiple times. Johnson has travelled all over North America to hone his skills and create the ultimate barbecue flavours. And chances are you’ve seen him on Global TV or in a Save on Foods commercial.
His barbecuing accomplishments include the following wins:
- 3rd place pulled pork at the Jack Daniels World Championships 2012
- 2015 World Burger Champion
- 2014, 2015, 2016 National Burger Champion
- BC Provincial BBQ champion 2015, 2016
- 5 time Grand BBQ Champion finishes.
- 5 time Reserve Grand Champion finishes
You’ll want to have the ultimate festival soundtracks to match a buzzing atmosphere. And you’ll get to experience that at the Chilliwack Corn and BBQ Fest where a wide range of different bands are scheduled to perform live throughout the two-day event. You can expect to hear the likes of Full Monkey, Orion, Exit 123, Rockabilly Jay, Soundscape, and many more artists. Check out a detailed music lineup and stage times online before you visit.
A festival isn’t complete without a wide range of ridiculously fun activities that you can do there. At the Chilliwack BBQ and Corn Fest, you’ll be able to enjoy games, face painting, balloons, and even an Ever After Princess Party if you want to bring the kids along to this all-ages festival.
No matter what your barbecue preferences are, you’ll be able to find something to satisfy your tastebuds at the festival, cooked up by Rusty Johnson. Bite into everything from finger lickin’ baby back ribs to organic chicken tenders, pulled pork sandwiches, fresh sockeye salmon, and Chilliwack corn on the cob. Ribs and chicken meals will be served up with beans, coleslaw, and buttered corn on the cob.
You can even order meals for take-away if you can’t stay at the festival for too long. And yes, there will be ice cream for dessert too.
Rusty’s menu for the Chilliwack Corn & BBQ Festival includes the following:
- Ribs (Johnston’s finest ribs) – Apple wood smoked over an open fire pit with sweet Kansas City style sauce: $15
- Chicken (Fraser Valley specialty poultry) Free range organic prime – Apple wood smoked over an open fire pit with sweet Kansas City style sauce: $15 . Accompaniment: Pit-style pork and beans cooked below the ribs plus creamy coleslaw and 1/2 corn on the cob
- Sockeye salmon (WILD | LOCAL | FAIR TRADE ): $15 Accompaniment: Authentic bannock and 1/2 corn on the cob
- Pulled pork sandwich – With sweet and tangy sauce, topped with shredded cabbage and classic coleslaw dressing and corn on the cob: $10
- Vegetarian meal: Full cob of corn, pit-style beans and coleslaw: $10
- Extra meat (your choice): $8
- Extra corn on the cob (with butter): $2
It’s summertime and you’ll be outside at the biggest barbecue fest of your life, so naturally you might get a little thirsty. Hit up the bar and order a local brew, a BC VQA wine, or even a Pepsi to quench your thirst after an epic barbecue meal.
When: July 29 and 30, 11 am to 8 pm
Where: Prospera Centre – 45323 Hodgins Avenue, Chilliwack
Price: Free admission
Contact: Call 604-702- 0062 to order for parties of 10 or more