The annual off-shore fireworks display is back with another three night schedule.The Celebration of Light Vancouver 2014 is once again brought to you by title sponsor Honda and local event organizers brand.Live.
Bleacher seats, food, music and other performances and activities will also be back to add to the city’s largest and most anticipated summer festival.
There will be a food truck festival each fireworks night at the Sunset Beach parking lot and Concord’s Seawall Challenge benefiting after-school programs for school children will be making a return after 2013’s successful inaugural event.
The West End Business Improvement Association will host a series of roaming performances along Davie and Denman Streets and the Sheepdogs will headline this year’s SHOREFEST.
“We are very happy to see the growth of programming this year,” said the Hon. John D. Reynolds, Chairman of the Vancouver Fireworks Festival Society. “Now, there’s even more to bring friends and families together during the summer. The Honda Celebration of Light will truly be when Vancouver Shines bright.”
An excess of 300,000 spectators are expected at English Beach each night during the event’s 24th year. Festival goers can download the Honda Celebration of Light mobile app to see artist schedules for SHOREFEST, search through an interactive site map, and vote for their favourite pyrotechnic team.
2014 Honda Celebration of Light Schedule and Countries
- Saturday, July 26: UNITED STATES by Pyrotecnico, 10 p.m. to 10:25 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 30: FRANCE by F.C. Pyro, 10 p.m. to 10:25 p.m.
- Saturday, August 2: JAPAN by Akariya Fireworks, 10 p.m. to 10:25 p.m.
Site Map and Road Closures
Image: Celebration of Light
TransLink is gearing up to ensure safe and convenient access to the fireworks at English Bay with additional bus and train service on July 26, July 30 and August 2.
- Service will be extended to accommodate increased customer demand.
- Transit supervisors will monitor service and deploy additional buses as needed.
- The 250, 250A and 257 will have additional service before and after the events.
- Some buses will be detoured, including, but not limited to, the C21, C23, 5, 6 and 22 routes.
- Expo/Millennium/Canada Lines will run additional trains beginning mid-afternoon, lasting well past the end of the event.
- The last train on the Expo/Millennium Line will leave Waterfront for King George at 1:16 a.m.
- The last Canada Line train will leave Waterfront for Richmond–Brighouse at 1:15 a.m.
*To avoid lineups at Ticket Vending Machines after the events, SkyTrain customers can pre-purchase return tickets at King George, Scott Road, Granville, Burrard, Bridgeport, Yaletown–Roundhouse and Vancouver City Centre stations. These fareboxes only accept exact cash and tickets are valid until the close of service.
- Additional and extended service for the events.
- July 26: service every 10 minutes from 11 a.m. to 8:45 p.m.; every 15 minutes until 11:30 p.m.; and every 30 minutes after 11:30 p.m. until the last sailting at 1:22 a.m. from the South Terminal.
- July 30 and August 2: service every 15 minutes until 11:30 p.m. and then every 30 minutes until the last departure from the South Terminal at 1:22 a.m.
West Coast Express:
- August 2: a special train will leave Mission City Station at 7 p.m. arriving at Waterfront Station at 8:15 p.m. The return train to Mission City will leave Waterfront Station at midnight.
Before, during and after the events, transit stations will remain open, but some will have modified access to ensure customer comfort and safety.
- After 10:30 p.m., all Canada Line and SeaBus customers, and Expo and Millennium Line customers who need an elevator, can access the Waterfront Station through the Cordova Street entrance.
- Expo and Millennium Line customers who do not require an elevator may only access the station from the Howe Street entrance, north of Cordova.
- The Granville and Hastings entrance will remain fully accessible for Canada Line customers.
- Customers can enter the station from Dunsmuir Street only, after 10:30 p.m.
- Also, there will be no access to Expo and Millennium trains heading towards Waterfront Station after this time.
- There will be no customer access to Expo and Millennium trains towards Waterfront Station after 10:30 p.m.
Featured Image: Clayton Perry