Canadians split down the middle on anti-CGL blockades: poll
Canada is evidently divided on how the government should handle the country-wide anti-Coastal GasLink blockades, according to a recent study from the Angus Reid Institute.
In an online survey conducted from February 25 to 26 involving 1,501 Canadian adults, the institute found that respondents were split nearly straight down the middle on the subject, with 47% believing that the blockades should be handled through discussion and negotiation, while 53% stated that “whatever force is necessary” should be used.
- Trudeau urges protesters to take down Wet’suwet’en solidarity rail blockades
- CN Rail issues 450 temporary layoff notices as pipeline protests continue
- Demonstration planned in solidarity with Ontario railway protestors in Vancouver today
Respondents were similarly split on what the underlying aspect of the conflict even is, with 56% believing it to be an economic issue or the rule of law, while the remaining 44% see it as either Indigenous or environmental issues.
What the two sides of the spectrum could agree on, evidently, is that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has not been properly handling the crisis, according to the study.
Just 21% of respondents replied that Trudeau has done a good job thus far.
BC Premier John Horgan and Ontario Premier Doug Ford both saw even worse results from their respective provinces, with only 18% of BC respondents believing that Horgan’s doing a good job and 15% of Ontario respondents thinking the same of Ford.
Alberta Premier Jason Kenney evidently had the backing of the majority of his 159 Albertan respondents, with 50% thinking he was doing a good job and only 40% stating the opposite.
Another 80% of the 1,501 Canadians surveyed believe that this entire situation has been a step backwards for reconciliation with Indigenous peoples, and 78% believed that the blockades have hurt Canada’s reputation as a place for investment.
And while over half (56%) of respondents stated that they feel the “protesters are genuine,” support for the Coastal GasLink has evidently grown over the past 14 days, rising from 51% to 61%.
The full report can be found here.