Nine months after 13-year-old Marrisa Shen was reported missing and later found dead in Burnaby’s Central Park, investigators say they have developed a “criminal profile” of the person believed to be responsible for her death.
In a release, the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) said they are continuing to “pursue all avenues of investigation” in the homicide.
This includes working with the RCMP Behavioural Sciences Group to develop the profile of the person responsible.
Police have previously said they believe the attack to be random and on Tuesday, IHIT said criminal profilers believe the unknown offender may have lived near Central Park on July 18, 2017.
They added the offender “may have demonstrated” any of the following behaviours, after Shen’s death:
- Unexpectedly moved (permanently or temporarily).
- Uncharacteristically avoided the Central Park area.
- Withdrew from social or family activities.
- Missed work or scheduled appointments.
- Showed suicidal gestures or attempts.
- Showed interest or special attention to the media coverage related to Marrisa Shen`s death.
- Increased or decreased his or her drug and/or alcohol use.
“IHIT continues to work closely with its partners including the Burnaby RCMP. There continues to be a high degree of public interest in the homicide of Miss Shen,” said IHIT spokesperson, Cpl. Frank Jang. “I strongly urge anyone with information or anyone who may recognize these characteristics and behaviours in someone they know, to please come forward and speak with IHIT.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact the IHIT Information Line at 1-877-551-IHIT (4448), or by email at [email protected]p-grc.gc.ca. Those who wish to remain anonymous can contact Crime Stoppers by phone at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), or leave a tip online at solvecrime.ca.
- 13-year-old girl found dead in Burnaby's Central Park
- Burnaby police seek public help in investigation of 13-year-old Marrisa Shen’s death
- Over 90 persons of interest identified in Burnaby teenager's murder
- Still no suspects 6 months after Burnaby teen Marrisa Shen's tragic murder
- Video of Marrisa Shen released as police confirm homicide