A man charged with second-degree murder and attempted murder in relation to an investigation in Burnaby has been caught in South Korea and extradited to Canada – 12 years after the crime.
On January 22, 2006, at approximately 2:20 am the Burnaby RCMP responded to a call of shots fired in the parking lot of 3355 North Road.
Upon their arrival, officers found two men with gunshot wounds and both were taken to hospital. One of the victims sustained non-life threatening gunshot wounds but 19-year-old Shaoxin Zhang died of his injuries.
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) took conduct of the investigation and quickly identified a suspect, but learned they had fled to Taiwan soon after the shooting.
Early that same year, then 28-year-old Jui-Kai Weng (formerly Lee-Chia “Kenny” Weng) was charged with second-degree murder and attempted murder in relation to this investigation. An Interpol red notice was issued for Mr. Weng’s arrest.
Then, on March 16 of this year, IHIT received notification that Mr. Weng had been arrested in South Korea as a result of his Interpol red notice.
“IHIT worked with its partners from the RCMP’s International Liaison Office, Interpol, the BC Prosecution Service and the International Assistance Group-Ottawa to liaise with the South Korean Ministry of Justice and facilitate Mr. Weng’s extradition to face his criminal charges in Canada,” said the agency in a release.
On June 26, 2018, the South Korean judiciary granted the extradition of Mr. Weng to Canada.
On July 20, 2018, IHIT investigators arrived in Vancouver with Mr. Weng, who will make his first appearance in BC Provincial Court on July 24, 2018.
“IHIT is grateful for the assistance provided by all its domestic partners as well as its partnership with law enforcement officials of South Korea,” said IHIT spokesperson Cpl. Frank Jang. “IHIT and our many partners are committed to bringing those accused of committing the most heinous crimes before the court.”
As part of the investigation, Huan Sheng “Leo” Tang was also charged and convicted of obstruction of justice in 2008 for his involvement in this incident.