
After over 30 years of concerts, multicultural performances, dances and more, the Michael J Fox Theatre in Burnaby will close its doors to the public this summer.
The Burnaby Board of Education made the announcement on its website on Tuesday, May 19, stating that the beloved theatre will cease hosting public events on July 1, 2026.
The news comes less than a week after Burnaby City Council offered a one-time grant valued at $300,000 to allow the theatre to stay open until the end of 2027, giving the Burnaby School District more time to seek more sustainable solutions.

Joey Sanchong/Google
- You might also like:
- Italian Day festival organizers ask City of Vancouver for support citing FIFA impacts
- Months-long detour ends: Broadway at Main Street reopens after road reconstruction for subway project
- New Vancouver vintage store is a trove of hidden treasures
“After carefully considering the City of Burnaby’s offer for a one-time grant alongside the Burnaby School District’s comprehensive review of the costs of the Michael J Fox Theatre, the Burnaby Board of Education must remain committed to prioritizing its finite resources toward Burnaby students and K-12 educational needs,” posted the Burnaby School District online.
“As such, while the Board sincerely appreciates the City’s proposal, regrettably, the transition will continue on July 1 to exclusive use of the theatre for school and District-related purposes.”
The Michael J Fox Theatre opened in 1993 and has since hosted thousands of arts, theatre, dance, and cultural events. It is owned by the Burnaby School District and is connected to Burnaby South Secondary School.

Michael J Fox Theatre
I.A.T.S.E Local 118, a union that represents theatrical stage employees in Greater Vancouver, posted a petition in April calling on Burnaby City Council to take action to save the theatre located at Burnaby South Secondary School. It currently has over 6,600 signees.
“We don’t have many spaces really in Vancouver. Theatre space is really hard to come by, so losing a theatre of this type is kind of devastating to the community, especially for myself as being a Burnaby resident,” said Joe Sawan, a business agent for I.A.T.S.E Local 118.
Burnaby Mayor Mike Hurley called the space a “key cultural venue for both performers and audiences in the region” in an announcement about the proposed one-time grant.
However, Burnaby Board of Education Chair Kristin Schnider said that the school district is unable to continue funding for the beleaguered venue.
“We want to thank the City of Burnaby for their efforts throughout this process,” added Schnider in a release. “This decision was not made lightly by the Board. We appreciate the uncertainty surrounding the future of the theatre has been difficult for the community, user groups, and the dedicated theatre staff.
“While we recognize the significance of this loss to the community and that this is not the outcome many had hoped for, we cannot redirect classroom dollars and staff resources to community theatre, as our duty is to prioritize education.”

Michael J Fox Theatre
According to the Burnaby School District, the Michael J Fox Theatre has operated at a loss for over a decade.
The District estimates that approximately $200,000 has been spent over the last year on the cost of time for staff. As well, the venue is in need of more than $700,000 in capital upgrades.
“We appreciate the City of Burnaby’s collaboration throughout this process and absolutely respect their decision,” said Superintendent Karim Hachlaf in a statement.
“Even with the City’s offer of a grant, it does not resolve the underlying financial and staffing pressures. We need to ensure our resources, including staff time, are aligned fully with our educational mandate.”
With files from Hanna Hett and Amir Ali