British Columbia has issued an extension on the current state of emergency due to the wildfires that continue to burn throughout the province.
A state of emergency was originally declared on July 7, which was then extended on July 19 and August 4. A release from the BC government now indicates that the state of emergency has been extended yet again and is set to be lifted on September 1.
Before 2017 the province had not issued a wildfire-caused state of emergency since 2003.
This summer is estimated to have been the most devastating year in the history wildfires in BC, with nearly 900,000 hectares of land being affected by the flames.
The release also said that there are 138 wildfires still burning as of Friday morning, and that the $600 per-household funding going toward evacuees will also be extended every 14 days until affected people are returned to their homes.
Currently there are approximately 4,400 people affected by 27 evacuation orders, and another 20,700 affected by 40 evacuation alerts, according to the release.
The state of emergency ensures that resources are available to combat the wildfires and assist those affected, with evacuation orders still being called for regions around BC—the latest being for the Kleena Kleene Area #3 on Thursday.
Earlier this week, provincial officials said the 2017 wildfire season is estimated to be the worst in BC’s recorded history.