All 35 of British Columbia’s Intersection Safety Cameras (ISC) have been set up, according to the province, and they’ve already handed out 20,000 tickets.
The initiative was announced last May as a way of cracking down on anyone who drives above the speed limit. The cameras were installed in phases across the province’s busiest intersections and ticket anybody caught speeding, whether it’s through a red, yellow, or green light.
The Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General said that “prominent warning signs” have also been installed to warn and deter speeding drivers ahead of time.
- See also:
In order to further discourage speeding, the provincial government and the local police chose not to disclose the speed threshold that triggers the new cameras.
Since BC’s first five automated cameras were activated at the end of July 2019, more than 20,000 speeding tickets have been issued.
The fastest vehicle clocked so far was caught going 174 km/h in an 80 km/h zone.
While all 35 cameras have been set up, all but one is operational. The activation of a camera located at Island Highway at Aulds Road in Nanaimo has been postponed until mid-September.
Of the 35 cameras, 32 are located in the Lower Mainland.
- Route 11 at Lonzo Road
- Kingsway at Boundary Road
- Kingsway at Royal Oak Avenue
- Willingdon at Deer Lake
- Barnet Highway at Mariner Way
- Nordel Way at 84th Avenue
- 200th Street at 64th Avenue
- Route 10 at Fraser Highway
- Lougheed Highway at 207th Avenue
- Marine Drive at Capilano Road
- Lougheed Highway at Old Dewdney Trunk Road
- Lougheed Highway at Shaughnessy Street
- Garden City Road at Cambie Road
- 128th Street at 88th Avenue
- 152nd Street at 96th Avenue
- 152nd Street at King George Boulevard
- 64th Avenue at 152nd Street
- 96th Avenue at 132nd Street
- King George Boulevard at 104th Avenue
- King George Boulevard at 80th Avenue
- Boundary Road at East 49th Avenue
- East Hastings Street at Main Street
- East Hastings Street at Renfrew Street
- Grandview Highway at Rupert Street
- Granville Street at West King Edward Avenue
- Kingsway at Joyce Street
- Kingsway at Victoria Drive
- Knight Street at East 33rd Avenue
- Oak Street at West 57th Avenue
- Oak Street at West 70th Avenue
- Southeast Marine Drive at Kerr Street
- West Georgia Street at Cardero Street
The cameras capture images and speeds of the vehicles passing through. Before mailing tickets, ISC officers review all available data for any additional charges under the Motor Vehicle Act.
For example, a driver that speeds through a red light at an activated intersection would be fined for both speeding and running a red light.