BC to introduce 35 'speed cameras' to Lower Mainland in enforcement ramp up
The provincial government is cracking down on anyone who drives above the speed limit.
Starting this summer, 35 intersections across the Lower Mainland will have new warning signs and technology installed to ticket anyone driving over the speed limit, whether it’s through a red, yellow, or green light.
Between 2012 and 2016, BC’s Intersection Safety Camera (ISC) program found that more than 10,000 vehicles per year go at least 30 km/h above the posted speed limit.
Not only that, but the majority of crashes on BC roads actually take place at intersections.
“We have a record number of crashes happening – more than 900 a day in our province – and about 60% of the crashes on our roads are at intersections,” says Mike Farnworth, Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General.
“The previous government only saw fit to activate each safety camera for up to six hours a day and to only target red-light runners,” he continues. “We’ve moved quickly to fully activate the red-light cameras, and now we’re adding speed enforcement.”
In order to discourage speeding at any of these intersections, the provincial government and local police will not be sharing the speed threshold that triggers the new cameras.
Speeds will be constantly monitored by the ISC, however, and may be subject to change in the future.
The speed cameras will be located in the following areas:
- Route 11 at Lonzo Road
- Kingsway at Boundary Road
- Kingsway at Royal Oak Avenue
- Willingdon at Deer Lake
- Barnet Highway at Mariner Way
- Nordel Way at 84th Avenue
- Harvey Avenue at Cooper Road
- Highway 97 North at Banks Road
- 200th Street at 64th Avenue
- Route 10 at Fraser Highway
- Lougheed Highway at 207th Avenue
- Island Highway at Aulds Road
- Marine Drive at Capilano Road
- Lougheed Highway at Old Dewdney Trunk Road
- Lougheed Highway at Shaughnessy Street
- Garden City Road at Cambie Road
- 128th Street at 88th Avenue
- 152nd Street at 96th Avenue
- 152nd Street at King George Boulevard
- 64th Avenue at 152nd Street
- 96th Avenue at 132nd Street
- King George Boulevard at 104th Avenue
- King George Boulevard at 80th Avenue
- Boundary Road at East 49th Avenue
- East Hastings Street at Main Street
- East Hastings Street at Renfrew Street
- Grandview Highway at Rupert Street
- Granville Street at West King Edward Avenue
- Kingsway at Joyce Street
- Kingsway at Victoria Drive
- Knight Street at East 33rd Avenue
- Oak Street at West 57th Avenue
- Oak Street at West 70th Avenue
- Southeast Marine Drive at Kerr Street
- West Georgia Street at Cardero Street
The following is an interactive map that shows the locations of all safety cameras throughout British Columbia.
- New real-time next train signs, speakers, and CCTV coming to 33 SkyTrain stations
- Pay parking now in effect for many stalls at Metropolis at Metrotown mall
- District of North Vancouver to look into regulation for single-use plastics
- Canada issues travel advisory for the Philippines due to threat of terrorism