BC government announces $39.8 million investment into Surrey schools

Sep 1 2020, 3:29 pm

The provincial government announced a $39.8 million investment on Tuesday that will go towards Surrey schools.

According to the Ministry of Education, the funds will be split into three projects, including a 240-seat expansion at KB Woodward Elementary and seismic upgrades at Prince Charles Elementary and Queen Elizabeth Secondary.

“No matter where they live, B.C. students deserve the best educational experiences possible, and that means learning in safe, engaging and inspiring classrooms,” said Education Minister Rob Fleming in a statement.

“We are continuing our progress on improving schools for students in Surrey, and these projects are a great example of our work and our progress for families in the community.”

The renovation at KB Woodward Elementary will add eight classrooms to the school and renovate two existing ones. This project is expected to be completed by January 2023.

The seismic upgrades at Prince Charles Elementary and Queen Elizabeth Secondary are scheduled to be finished in 2022.

Earlier this year, the provincial government dedicated a “much-needed” $40 million to replace the Henry Hudson Elementary School in Vancouver’s Kitsilano neighbourhood. The school is nearly 110 years old and in need of an upgrade due to its age and condition.

The province says that they’ve invested $403 million into 25 school capital projects in Surrey since 2017. This amount is said to include seismic upgrades at six schools, 14 new or expanded schools, and land purchases for four future schools.

With files from Eric Zimmer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT