Are you craving something sweet, but have nothing in the house? You can whip up this basic shortbread cookies recipe with ingredients you already have in your pantry! If you want to be fancy about it, add flavourings to make it more special.
- 1/2 cup butter – at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (you can use your favourite extract here – ie. almond or lemon)
- dash of salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Using a wooden spoon, or a mixer with the paddle attachment, mix together butter, sugar, salt, and extract until smooth. Slowly add in flour to combine.
- Pour the dough out on to a sheet of parchment paper, and shape into a log. About 1-1/2 inches in diameter.
- Let the dough rest in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the log into 1/4 inch slices.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until edges begin to brown.
- Cool on the baking sheet for a couple minutes, and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes about 15 cookies.
What would you add to your shortbread?