FEATURED EVENTS IN VANCOUVER
A Future for Memory: Art and Life After the Great East Japan Earthquake, February 11 to September 5, 2021
It’s that last day of the weekend, so make it count. From Lunar New Year celebrations to Dine Out Vancouver, there are plenty of things happening in the city that will add some fun to your Sunday.
For more things happening around town, check out our events section.
Celebrate the Year of the Rooster at these events:
- What: The 44th annual Chinese New Year Parade in Vancouver’s Chinatown is an all ages event that features lion dances, cultural dance troupes, marching bands, martial arts performances and more!
- Where: Chinatown – Pender St and Main St, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, January 29, from 11 am to 2 pm
- Admission: Totally free
- What: To kick off the Lunar New Year of the Rooster, District Local invited more than 25 local artists to create artwork using lucky red pocket envelopes as their canvasses. The finished works will be exhibited in this one-day only art show.
- Where: Fortune Sound Club – 143 East Pender St, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, January 29, noon to 4 pm
- Tickets: On Eventbrite, totally free
- What: Enjoy arts and crafts, demonstrations of tai chi, traditional music, and a lively lion dance at Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden.
- Where: Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden – 578 Carrall St, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, January 29, from 10 am to 4 pm
- Tickets: By donation
Sip on some chocolatey goodness at the Vancouver Hot Chocolate Festival
- What: The Hot Chocolate Festival once again makes for a delectable countdown to the sweetest day of the year, Valentine’s Day, when a lot of us are definitely thinking about chocolate. The month-long event finds cafes, sweet shops, and restaurants around Vancouver serving up special cocoa-y creations.
- Where: Various locations. See full list here.
- When: Tuesday, January 17 to Tuesday, February 14
- Admission: Free, but bring money for drinks
Celebrate science at Innovation150
- What: A nationwide program from five leading science organizations known as Innovation150 celebrates Canada’s innovative past and sparks the ideas and ingenuity that will propel our future. The interactive, yearlong program offers awe-inspiring experiences in science, technology, and innovation across the country.
- Where: Various locations, check website for details.
- When: Events run through January and February.
Eat your heart out at Dine Out Vancouver
- What: This annual festival is back with a full 17-day schedule of delicious events and unique culinary experiences for diners. Activities include brunch crawls, cocktail masterclasses, wine debates, guest chef dinners, and street food markets.
- Where: All around Vancouver
- When: Friday, January 20 to Sunday, February 5
- Tickets: Individual event ticket details and prices here
Get cheesin’ at Cheesy Does It Cheese Making Class
- What: In this workshop you will be learning a new skill of how to make Fresh Mozzarella cheese (bocconcini). With guided step by step instructions from Chef Alexis (Make Cheese Inc.) you will learn the basics of making cheese curds, salting, brining, storage and working with rennet and bacterial cultures.
- Where: Electric Avenue – 938 Smithe Street, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, January 29, from 1 to 3:30 pm
- Tickets: On Eventbrite, $57
Enjoy the show at Cuisine & Confessions
- What: Proving you don’t need an elaborate stage or costumes to tell a story, this show from Montreal-based circus company Les 7 Doigts playfully combines high-flying aerobatics with live cooking demonstrations.
- Where: Vancouver Playhouse — 600 Hamilton Street, Vancouver
- When: Wednesday, January 25 to Friday, January 27 at 8 pm, then Saturday, January 28 at 2 pm and 8 pm, and Sunday, January 29 at 2 pm
- Tickets: At Tickets Tonight, $45-$60
Fancy another play? We recommend Bull
- What: This fast-paced and acid-tongued new work is about the power dynamics at a high-powered sales firm, where a trio of conspiring coworkers scheme to trip each other up and avoid the chopping block.
- Where: Studio 1398 — 1398 Cartwright Street, Vancouver
- When: From Tuesday, January 24 to Saturday, January 28 at 8 pm, plus a Sunday matinee on January 29 at 2 pm
- Tickets: At Made It Productions, $15-$21
Find your zen at Ninjitsu Sundays
- What: Ninjitsu is the ancient art of the ninja shadow warriors of Japan. Through the practice of Ninjitsu you’ll learn to move your body and mind in a more poetic way, through breath and traditional exercises.
- Where: Vital Health Medical Clinic Kitsilano – 1855 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, January 29, from 10:30 am to noon
- Register: On Eventbrite, free
Get fresh at Hastings Park Farmers Market
- What: Find a great selection of local produce, fish, meat, dairy, artisan prepared foods, baked goods, local crafts, and food trucks.
- Where: Hastings Park Centregrounds– 2901 E Hastings Street, Vancouver
- When: Sundays from 10 am to 2 pm, January 8 to April 30
- Admission: Free