FEATURED EVENTS IN VANCOUVER
A Future for Memory: Art and Life After the Great East Japan Earthquake, February 11 to September 5, 2021
Keep your long weekend fun going with of our checklist of 10 things to do in Vancouver this Sunday, August 6. Vancouver Pride Parade, Social Sundays at VanDusen, and more exciting events
For more things happening around town, check out our events section.
- What: The streets of downtown will be packed on August 6 as the annual Vancouver Pride Parade will make its way through the city for a three hour long route. With approximately 150 entries expected to take part in the highly anticipated celebration, spectators will see a wide array of costumes and colours making their way along downtown streets.
- Where: Begins at Robson Street and Thurlow Street, proceeds onto Denman Street, and ends at Sunset Beach
- When: August 6 at noon
- Cost: Free
- What: One of Vancouver’s favourite beaches will become the home of Pride’s big finale, as over 100,000 are expected to turn out for the annual Sunset Beach Festival, the go-to party at the end of the Pride Parade. The parade itself finishes at Sunset Beach, drawing all the performers, floats, costumes, and spectators towards the area. The festival will include beer gardens, and attendees can purchase a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) keychain that loads up with cash to make purchasing a drink quicker, as well as Express Passes that will get you into the beer garden ahead of the line.
- Where: Sunset Beach – 1204 Beach Avenue, Vancouver
- When: August 6 from 11 am to 6 pm
- Admission: Free! But an Express Pass for the beer garden is $20 – get online
- 8 Vancouver Pride 2017 events happening around town
- 6 places to party it up for Pride weekend in Vancouver
- What: A one-of-a-kind Pride garden party taking place at the Sheraton Wall Centre on August 6. Dance on one of two dance floors and hear five DJs spinning tracks throughout the event. This includes Rose Garcia (Real L Word), well-known NYC and LA DJ Whitney Day, Nathalie Morel, Agent 99, Armistice, and Miss M.
- Where: Sheraton Wall Centre – 1088 Burrard Street
- When: August 6 from 4 to 9 pm
- Price: $47.50 – Tickets available online
- What: The big, beautiful, spicy, pumping, and powerful Hershe Bar will be throwing the grand finale party of Pride. This party’s an indoor festival with two spacious clubs, six of North America’s finest DJs, jets of confetti, lasers, and sizzling hot dancers. If you get a ticket then you’ll also gain access to both neighbouring venues, so you can stick with one style or wander between. Everyone who’s 19+ is welcome to attend.
- Where: Harbour Event Centre and Privé Nightclub
- When: August 6 from 9 pm to 2 am
- Tickets: Online, $30
- What: Whether you’re a beginner or Salsa pro, these afternoons will definitely spice up your summer. Taught by some of Vancouver’s best salsa instructors, the summer 2017 season runs until August 13. Following the lessons, there is a dance show that features some of Vancouver’s most talented dancers.
- When: Every Sunday to August 13. Lessons run from 3 to 3:30 pm. Dance show starts at 5 pm. After party begins at 7 pm.
- Where: Robson Square – 800 Robson Street, Vancouver
- Cost: Free
- What: There might be no drinking happening at this sober and proud event, but you’ll be reeling at RuPaul’s stars Katya, Morgan McMichaels and DJ Nina Flowers, plus Raye Sunshine, Mayhem Miller, Trinna Modele, Brat Pack, Jane Smokr, Alma Bitches, Jaylene Tyme, MC Crystal Clearly and country singer Jaimie Wilson.
- When: August 6 from 6 to 10 pm
- Where: Davie and Bute Street, Vancouver
- Tickets: Online, $20
- What: Hit up Fortune Sound for the Pride edition of this event. The organizers are giving you 10 international and local Queer, Lesbian & Trans DJs to choose from, playing house, hiphop, trap, 90s and Y2K jams, dancehall, bass music and breaks. And for the first time ever a secret level in Fortune is opening up, with rad artwork, a bar, and lots of chill space.
- When: August 6 from 9 pm to 3 am
- Where: Fortune Sound Club – 137 E Pender Street, Vancouver
- Tickets: Online, Earlybird $15, Advance $17, or $20 at the door
- What: A global charity event hosted by Canada Youth Arts Development Foundation with the support of UNICEF. The Youth World Cup Live Painting Competition aims to raise awareness for underprivileged children, provide a platform to help and give them a better future and to promote the cultural and artistic exchange among youth and children globally. The theme of this year event is “Friendship, Dream and Environment Protection”, and children and Youth Artists, ages 4 to 25, across the world will be participating in the competition.
- When: August 6 from 2 to 6 pm
- Where: Richmond Olympic Oval – 6111 River Road, Richmond
- Admission: $20 donation to Unicef
- What: Join pro rider and member of the Canadian National Para-cycling Team, Joanie Caron on this road ride to Deep Cove or enjoy a more casual ride along the scenic, Central Valley Greenway with one of the Ride Ambassadors.
- When: August 6 from 9 am to 3 pm
- Where: The Original Bike Shop & Cap’s Bicycle Museum – 434 East Columbia Street, New Westminster
- Tickets: Online, $5
- What: Pack a blanket and bring your friends to VanDusen Botanical Garden for Social Sundays this August. The Paul Filek Band, signature cocktails, and lawn games will get you grooving on Sunday afternoons. All ages event, but ID is required for liquor purchase.
- When: August 6 from 3 to 5:30 pm
- Where: VanDusen Botanical Garden – 5251 Oak Street, Vancouver
- Cost: Free with regular garden admission