Another day, another glowing report highlighting the University of Toronto.
Once again, U of T has come on top, ranking as one of the top 20 universities in the world.
According to the US News & World Report, which published the 2020 edition of the Best Global Universities rankings on Tuesday, the University of Toronto is one of the best schools in the world when it comes to academic research and reputation.
In its latest ranking, US News evaluated 1,500 schools globally, looking at universities in 81 countries.
The top 10 schools in the overall ranking are all found in either the US or the United Kingdom. Harvard University remains at No. 1, followed by Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, and the University of California—Berkeley at No. 2, 3 and 4, respectively. The University of Oxford rounds out the top five.
This year, the University of Toronto ranked at number 19, and was the only Canadian school in the top 20.
Out of 1,500 schools in more than 80 countries, these are the #BestGlobal Universities. https://t.co/hgqnuZfCrK
— U.S. News Education (@USNewsEducation) October 22, 2019
But U of T also put Canada on the map for countries that performed the best in specific subjects, which included:
- Computer science: China (tie), US (tie), UK, Australia, Canada
- Economics and business: US, UK, Australia, Canada, China
- Engineering: US, China, UK, Italy, Canada
- Neuroscience and behaviour: US, Germany, Italy, China, UK
The only other Canadian school to make the top 50 was the University of British Columbia, which made the list ranking at number 30.
- See also:
Overall Best Global Universities – Top 20
1. Harvard University (US)
2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (US)
3. Stanford University (US)
4. University of California—Berkeley (US)
5. University of Oxford (UK)
6. California Institute of Technology (US)
7. Columbia University (US)
8. Princeton University (US)
9. University of Cambridge (UK)
10. University of Washington (US)
11. Johns Hopkins University (US)
12. Yale University (US)
13. University of Chicago
14. University of California–Los Angeles (US)
15. University of California–San Francisco (US)
16. University of Pennsylvania (US)
17. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor (US)
18. University of Toronto (Canada)
19. University of California–San Diego (US)
20. Imperial College London (UK)