This round-up spotlights Toronto’s newest restaurant and bar openings, upcoming closings, plus some special spots that should be on your radar.
Here’s what’s up in the city’s food scene right now.
- Wonton Kitchen has recently opened its doors at 29B St. Joseph Street, after an overhaul of what used to be Wu Jian Dao Shanghai Dumpling.
- Chick-fil-A has opened its doors at 1 Bloor Street East, and lineups are still around the block almost a week later.
- Jollibee celebrated its grand opening at 79 Billy Bishop Way on Friday, and fried chicken fans continue to line up out the front door and around the building.
- A new spot called Lucca is now open across street from the AGO, at 308 Dundas Street West. Get at it, OCAD.
- Neapolitan-style pizzeria Pi Co. celebrated a grand opening this week at 100 Wellington Street West, in The Path at the TD Centre Food Court.
- TRU Bubble Tea is now serving refreshments at 25 Carlton Street.
- The Raw Lioness is slingin’ plant-based, gluten-free fuel at 2745 Dundas Street West.
- This upcoming farm dinner features gourmet chefs fighting climate change
- Popular Parkdale burger spot Harry’s Charbroiled is closing
- The Roasted Nut looks like it’s almost ready to open at 768 Queen Street West, at the corner of Bellwoods Avenue.
- DaanGo Cake Lab has announced it’ll be opening a cafe in November, revolving around brunch, treats, and caffeine.
- Miracle Pop-Up Bar will be returning to the city this fall, taking over 146 Ossington Avenue on November 25.
- AVIV is gearing up to open its doors at 779 St. Clair West by the end of this month.
- Eataly is finally prepping to open at Bloor-Yonge, and the eatery is hosting a series of job fairs this month in advance of the opening.
- Assembly Chef’s Hall will welcome a new spot called LosCo Vegan before fall is over, serving up Mexican flavours in the form of family recipes. Watch this space.
- DOVA, by the same people behind ARDO, is coming to Cabbagetown with the flavours of Sicily and the Mediterranean.
- Leslieville will welcome Nutbar to 899 Queen Street East at 7 am on Saturday, September 14.
- Opening at 3260 Midland Avenue on September 17, Ye Skewers Hot Pot serves up mouthwatering meats and various veggies on skewers with a hot soup base.
- On September 20, Yang’s Braised Chicken Rice will open seven new locations and offer free signature dishes to guests between 6 pm and 8 pm.
Our Top Picks
Tucked away on a quiet street between UofT and Ryerson is the perfect place to warm up with a bowl of wonton soup, potstickers, and fried mantou. With a streamlined menu, new decor and a space flooded with natural light, the spot is a surefire haven for students and non-students alike during the coming cool months.
Address: 29B St. Joseph Street
Jollibee – Wilson Station
Address: 79 Billy Bishop Way
View this post on Instagram
Choose from fried provolone or beef and ricotta meatballs to start at this new eatery, directly across from the AGO. And let the indulgence continue with ricotta, red wine fig and honey to pair with your bread, and a dry aged double-stacked burger. And then indulge in a split bottle of orange wine, for good measure? Welcome to hibernation season.
Address: 308 Dundas Street West
It’s coming up to closing time on these establishments. You don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here.
- Only a year after its doors first opened, Dogs & Coffee has closed up its shop at 616 Queen Street West.
- It’s coming up to the end for Harry’s at 160 Springhurst Avenue in Parkdale; the iconic eatery’s last day is October 5.