This round-up spotlights Toronto’s newest restaurant and bar openings, upcoming closings, plus some special spots that should be on your radar.
Here what’s up in Toronto’s food scene right now:
- Ryus Noodle Bar is now open at 699 Queen Street West, and the spot is shelling out free ramen on August 28 to celebrate.
- Jollibee is coming to 1 Promenade Circle this fall, and with the recent change in weather… that’s feeling awfully close.
- Today / Tonight has opened up shop at 1704 Queen Street West, taking over where Dumbo Snack Bar used to be.
- Bar Isabel alumni’s Queen West wine and snack bar, Piquette, is now open at 1084 Queen Street West.
- Bar Ape is collaborating with Ace Hill for the rest of the summer at 915 Queen West, across from Trinity Bellwoods. It’s on Saturdays and Sundays from 1 pm to 9 pm, and is cash-only.
- You can now find a Do Well Sandwiches pop-up at The Shore Leave at 1775 Danforth Avenue, with fierce glutenous treats on vacation.
- This upcoming farm dinner features gourmet chefs fighting climate change
- Popular Parkdale burger spot Harry’s Charbroiled is closing
- Dundas West is hosting a massive street celebration this weekend
- Chick-fil-A is gearing up to open its doors any day now at 1 Bloor Street East.
- LOV, Montreal’s beloved, highly-Instagrammable, all-vegan restaurant, is soon to open a location at 620 King West, near Portland.
- A spot called Laera Bakery, which currently does pop-ups, is slated to open on Queen West before the year is through.
- Many more noodles will be available at Union Station when Sansotei Ramen arrives.
Our Top Picks
Under the direction of Grant van Gameren, the opening menu of small dishes is kept simple and fresh at this wine and snack bar, showcasing charcuterie from Scott Draper — local charcutier — alongside dishes by van Gameren himself. Plus, there are more than 80 labels of vino on rotation.
Address: 1084 Queen Street West
Bar Ape x Ace Hill
View this post on Instagram
Open Saturdays and Sundays beside Sam James Coffee Bar, this is a central spot to taste some of the best gelato the city has to offer. With bright and brilliant flavour combinations on rotation, and vegan options always available, everyone will find something to love here. Don’t bring cash, they won’t take it.
Address: 915 Queen Street West
View this post on Instagram
Popping up at The Shore Leave, this is the place to get your hands on some fierce and creative handhelds. Love a Reuben but don’t love the heavy feeling you get after downing stacks on stacks of meat? Give the kale-filled version this spot’s slingin’ a go.
Address: 1775 Danforth Avenue
It’s coming up to closing time on these establishments. You don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here.
- It’s coming up to the end for Harry’s at 160 Springhurst Avenue in Parkdale; the iconic eatery’s last day is October 5.
- Golden Gecko shared on Instagram that they’ll be shuttering their Gladstone Avenue location on August 30.