A busy Queen Street intersection will be fully closed for two months during TTC reconstruction work.
The intersection of Queen Street East, Eastern Avenue, Kingston Road will be closed starting on Monday, September 9 and is scheduled to reopen in early November.
During the closure, crews will be working 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and excavation activities and heavy breaking will be carried out at various times throughout the day.
- TTC streetcar spotted in the middle of Ontario forest (PHOTO)
- GO Transit expanding service by adding 84 more train trips each week
- GO Transit to offer free Wi-Fi on all buses and trains in 2020
The intersection will be closed so crews can replace the streetcar tracks and the overhead infrastructure for streetcars, according to the city.
The project involves the following work:
- Removing and replacing the entire TTC streetcar overhead wire infrastructure and track in the intersection
- Reconstructing the existing eastbound streetcar platform on the west side of the intersection
- Reconstructing the existing roadway median on the east side of the intersection
- Road resurfacing and sidewalk improvements
According to the city, to make navigating the closure easier, some one-way side streets will be made two-way to improve access.
As a result of the construction, there will also be a number of TTC service disruptions in the area with many streetcars and buses diverting in the area.
According to the TTC, the following diversions will be in effect:
- 22/322 Coxwell: buses will divert both ways; Coxwell Ave., Queen St., through the Queen/Coxwell Loop, Dundas St. and Kingston Rd. to route.
- 143 Downtown/Beach Express: buses will divert both ways; Queen St., Woodbine Ave., Lake Shore Blvd. and Parliament St. to downtown routing.
- 301R Queen: buses will divert both ways; Queen St., Coxwell Ave., Lake Shore Blvd., Woodbine Ave. and Queen St.
- 301 Queen night streetcar will connect with 301R Queen night buses at Greenwood Ave. and Queen St. E. in both directions.
- 501/501A Queen streetcars and 301 Queen night streetcars will operate as far east as TTC’s Russell Yard (located west of Coxwell Ave.)
- 501R Queen: buses will divert both ways; Queen St., Coxwell Ave., Lake Shore Blvd., Woodbine Ave. and Queen St. and operate between Neville Park Loop and River St. (Queen/King junction). Customers can connect with streetcars at Queen St. E. and Greenwood Ave. or continue to Broadview Ave.
- 502 Downtowner weekday service will not operate during construction. Service will be consolidated with the 503 Kingston Rd route.
- 503 Kingston Rd: buses will divert both ways; Kingston Rd., Dundas St., Coxwell Ave. and Queen St.