A 32-year-old Whitby man has been charged following an investigation by members of the Toronto Police Service Child Exploitation Section.
According to Toronto police, on Wednesday, February 12, as part of an investigation into the possession of child sexual abuse material, members of the section executed a Criminal Code search warrant in the Thickson Road and Rossland Road East area of Whitby.
Police say it is alleged that a man made, accessed, possessed, and made available child sexual abuse material over the Internet.
Joseph Vermulst was arrested and charged with: two counts of Possession of Child Pornography, two counts of Access Child Pornography, two counts of Make Available Child Pornography, and Make Child Pornography.
Investigators say Vermulst is employed by the Durham Catholic District School Board as a Teacher’s Assistant and has worked at the following schools:
- Good Shepherd Catholic School, from March 18, 2019 to February 11, 2020
- Father Fenelon Catholic School, from September 1, 2016 to August 29, 2018
- St. James Catholic School, from August 30, 2018 to March 15, 2019
- St. James Catholic School, from April 1, 2016 to August 31, 2016
He has also worked as a Long Term Occasional Educational Assistant at the following schools:
- St. Bernard Catholic School, from September 3, 2013 to January 31, 2014
- St. Andre Catholic School, from August 28, 2014, to January 28, 2015
- St. Josephine Bakhita Catholic School, from August 28, 2104 to January 23, 2015
- St. James Catholic School, from September 1, 2015 to March 31, 2016
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-8500, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637).