With schools opening this week, school boards have been figuring out their back-to-school plans, ensuring students have a safe start to the year during the COVID-19 pandemic.
But with all the delayed and staggered starts for different grades and school boards, it can be confusing to know when school is in fact starting.
Luckily, all the GTA school boards now have their plans for the year, and parents or family members can know when their children go back to school.
- See also:
The staggered start for the TDSB begins on September 15, but grades will be staggered over the first week.
Classes will begin on September 14. For elementary students, a quarter of each class will start each day with full attendance by September 17.
And Grade 9 students will attend for the first two days, while Grade 10, 11, and 12 will start September 16.
Students will gradually return to school by attending orientation sessions during the weeks of September 8 and 14.
September 16, regular school days begin for elementary.
The staggered start for elementary students will be according to last name, which can be found here.
- Grade 9 Cohort A will have orientation that will focus on Well-Being and Health and Safety Protocols.
- Elementary students with a surname beginning from A-F in kindergarten to Grade 8 will return to school.
- Grade 9 Cohort B will have orientation that will focus on Well-Being and Health and Safety Protocols.
- Elementary students with a surname beginning with G-N from kindergarten to Grade 8 return to school. And, only Grades 10, 11, 12 Cohort A will begin.
- Only Grades 10, 11, 12 Cohort B will begin.
- Elementary Group A with surnames A to L, from kindergarten to Grade 8 will begin. And, only Grade 9, 10, 11, 12 regular schedule based on cohorts.
- Kindergarten: Year 2 students will attend school
- Elementary: Grade 1-8 students will be divided into two groups by last name and go to school on alternate days for the first four days.
- Secondary: Grade 9 Cohort A will attend school in the morning and participate in virtual activities in the afternoon. Grade 10 to 12 Cohort A and B will have a online schedule for all their courses.
- Secondary: Grade 9 Cohort B will start school in the morning and have virtual activities in the afternoon.
- Grade 10 to 12 Cohort A and B will have their online schedule for all courses.
- Kindergarten Year 1 students will be divided into two groups alphabetically and go to school on alternate days and Secondary students will have regular school schedule
- All elementary students will begin attending school
- Grade 1 to 3: first day of classes September 10
- Grade 4 to 6: first day of classes September 15
- Junior and Senior Kindergarten: first day of classes September 11
- Cohort A Grade 9: first day of classes September 8
- Cohort B Grade 9: first day of classes September 15
- Grade 10 to 12: first day of classes September 10
There is a possibility of a full return for students in secondary classes on September 8.
For elementary students:
- Families with last names beginning with A – G: September 8
- Families with last names beginning with H – M: September 9
- Families with last names beginning with N – S: September 10
- Families with last names beginning with T – Z: September 11
- Families with last names beginning with A – M: September 14 and September 16
- Families with last names beginning with N – Z: September 15 and September 17
- Full Attendance: September 18
On September 8 there will be online preparation for elementary and secondary students.
- Tuesday, September 8: Orientation Day (quarter of each class)
- Wednesday, September 9: Orientation Day (quarter of each class)
- Thursday, September 10: Orientation Day (quarter of each class)
- Friday, September 11: Orientation Day (quarter of each class)
- Monday, September 14 and Wednesday, September 16: half of each class
- Tuesday, September 15 and Thursday, September 17: half of each class
- Friday, September 18: Full classes
September 10 – 11:
- Elementary: optional in-person school orientation with students being divided into two groups alphabetically
- Secondary: online preparation begins
- In class learning begins for elementary and secondary students
- All online classes begin
Orientation begins September 8 for kindergarten students.
And classes begin September 9, for elementary students with surnames beginning with the letters A-F and Grade 9-12 Cohort A begins in-class instruction, with Grades 9-12 Cohort B starting online.
September 10 classes begins for year 2 Kindergarten students and Grade 1-8 with surnames starting with G-N will begin class. And, Grades 9-12 Cohort B begins in-class instruction, Grades 9-12 Cohort A online.
September 11 Year 1 kindergarten students begin staggered classes and Grade 1 – 8 students with surnames beginning with O-Z also begin.