After a tumultuous week, Soufi’s has officially reopened on Queen Street West.
The Syrian restaurant’s owners Husam and Shahnaz Alsoufi chose to permanently close their eatery on Tuesday in order to maintain the safety of family and staff.
The family and shop had been inundated with threats after their son was identified as a protestor at a Maxime Bernier event that became violent, where an 85-year-old woman with a walker was blocked from entering and was reportedly called a “racist” and a “Nazi.”
The reopening comes after an outpour of support from the community, including that of Mohamad Fakih, CEO of Paramount Fine Foods.
- See also:
“I spent two years of my life fighting hate, me and my family,” Fakih said at a press conference on Thursday morning. “I don’t think businesses should be closed.”
All of the staff who had been let go from their positions when the restaurant closed were to have been re-hired for the reopening, Fakih said.
And, should the time come when security measures need to be organized for the space, he has committed to do so.
Fakih was present at the reopening of the restaurant, greeting customers, thanking them for supporting the eatery, and gesturing to the countless letters of love and support that now line the spot’s walls.
For now, Soufi’s is being operated under management from Paramount Fine Foods, though the space is still owned by the Alsoufi family.
They are reportedly taking time away to recuperate from the week’s happenings, and will return to operating the eatery when they feel rested and well again.
Address: 676 Queen Street West, Toronto