The City of Toronto is looking for the public’s opinion regarding its proposal for the massive downtown Rail Deck Park.
Initially introduced last year, Councillor Joe Cressy and Mayor John Tory said the park would be the size of 16 football field, and would be located in the rail corridor between Bathurst Street and Blue Jays Way.
“It will be a new and critical resource for our neighbourhoods, and a new central park for all of Toronto,” wrote Coun. Cressy on his website.
While Council has already approved taking the first steps to move the plan forward, a new private application to build condo towers in the same proposed location has been submitted to the City.
Tonight a developer is trying to rationalize building 7 towers instead of a park right here. It will never happen. We will never allow it. pic.twitter.com/knAlK2lRY2
— Joe Cressy (@joe_cressy) September 12, 2017
“After the plans for Rail Deck Park were announced, the City of Toronto received a private application to change the Official Plan to allow a large new development above the rail corridor, including a parking structure for 1,225 vehicles and 9 buildings up to 59 storeys tall,” said Cressy.
“To be very clear, I completely oppose any private development over the rail corridor because it would diminish the size and usefulness of Rail Deck Park. We have plenty of other sites downtown for more towers, but there are no other sites for a new 21-acre downtown park.”
Cressy said that the Ontario Planning Act legally requires the City to review, hold public meetings, and make a decision on every private development application.
“We also have to be prepared to defend that decision if it is appealed to the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB), which has the power to overturn any of City Council’s planning decisions,” he added.
The upcoming Rail Deck Park: City-initiated Official Plan Amendment public meeting is scheduled to take place on September 25 at 6 pm at City Hall.
— Anthony Smith (@HealthyCityMaps) August 25, 2017