The Government of Ontario confirms that over 2,200 student COVID-19 cases have been reported in schools in the last three months.
According to the provincial government, 51 new cases are student-related, and nine are staff-related. In Monday’s update, 60 new cases have been reported.
The new total has reached 3,870 since back to school.
There has been a reported 1,133 school-related cases in just two weeks, with 2,737 reported 14 or more days before that.
Out of the total cases recorded since September, about 59% have been reported from students.
The province continues to report three school closures out of the 676 schools that have cases.
Last week, the Toronto District School Board kept a Scarborough high school open after reporting 13 students tested positive for coronavirus at Lester B. Pearson Collegiate Insitute.
As for licensed childcare centres, there are now 663 total confirmed cases and 116 centres and 443 homes closed.
As of Monday, both Toronto and Peel regions are under Lockdown level measures for the next 28 days as the province continues to report over 1,000 new cases daily. Increases in daily case numbers have been more prominent in the GTA region.
The new restrictions are meant to prevent a province-wide lockdown, said Premier Doug Ford on Friday as he announced the new measures.
“We have to make the tough but necessary decisions now to protect our hospitals, long-term care and retirement homes, and every person in this province,” said the premier.
On Monday, the provincial government confirmed 1,589 new COVID-19 cases, marking the highest daily count since the pandemic began.