The Province of Ontario confirmed eight more COVID-19 related deaths and 160 new known cases of the illness on Saturday morning.
According to Minister of Health Christine Elliott, the province processed a record number of tests on Friday, at 33,492.
“As a result, our positivity rate remains at all-time lows,” she said on Saturday.
“With 178 more resolved, we continue to see a persistent decline in the number of active cases in the province. Hospitalizations, ICU admissions, and vented patients all also continue to decline.”
Today, Ontario is reporting 160 new cases of #COVID19, a 0.5% increase. Yesterday, the province processed a record-setting number of tests at 33,492. As a result, our positivity rate remains at all-time lows.
— Christine Elliott (@celliottability) June 27, 2020
Elliott said that 29 of Ontario’s 34 public health units are reporting five or fewer new cases, with 17 of them reporting no new cases at all.
Earlier this morning, the Province extended its emergency orders until July 10, although it has removed certain restrictions for Stage 2 indoor sports and recreational fitness facilities.
Ontario has also extended its state of emergency until July 15 and is hopeful it will not need to be extended again.